Spirit of Atlanta 2018

6 hours ago, oldsoprano said:

While about 98 percent of the '77 corps had never marched drum corps - and most had never even seen a drum corps competition before joining the newly-formed Spirit, we had a very high return rate in '78. Jim Ott tried to tell us in the spring that we were really good and were in for an amazing season, but we didn't believe him. Until. The. Second. Show.

I don't even remember our first show, but I vividly remember our second show in Cedarburg, Wisc., on the old high school football field that was in the middle of a racetrack. The bleachers had an overhang that captured all of the sound, and the crowd went nuts from the first big hit in the show. We began feeding off the crowd's reaction, which raised our energy level about tenfold, I would guess. That night, we beat the Blue Stars, who had finished in 7th the previous year, by 6 points.

Yes, we were very shocked.

We weren’t shocked after we saw you guys at the Atlanta show.   I knew you were going to kick our butt.  I bought a t-shirt. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I can't say I've truly been a fan of a Spirit show since 2012...  I think this is one of their best brass lines in recent years, and there's a ton of potential.

I'll save the more in depth opinion for live streaming comments!  :)

Overall, good work so far Spirit!

• Like 2

Really loving the design of this production! This show along with those uniforms they revealed is light years ahead of what they have recently been producing. The only thing that worries me is the lack of content in the drill design. They could easily move up the ranks to around the 14-15 range and pull in more talent in for next year, where they could be a solid contender for finals. Prove me wrong SOA and KSA!

• Like 1

On 6/18/2018 at 8:03 AM, Terri Schehr said:

We weren’t shocked after we saw you guys at the Atlanta show.   I knew you were going to kick our butt.  I bought a t-shirt. 

It appears from the last paragraph of this letter that Jim sent to the hornline in late December of 1977 that he already could tell how successful we would be in '78.

Edited by oldsoprano
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, oldsoprano said:

It appears from the last paragraph of this letter that Jim sent to the hornline in late December of 1977 that he already could tell how successful we would be in '78.

I watched you guys warm up at the Atlanta show,  too. Whoa nelly, that was loud. 

• Like 1

I rewatched their preview and I'm so happy for them. I've always had a soft spot for SoA. This years show seems leaps and bounds ahead of the last few years.

• Like 5

Today is Spirit's last full day (and night) in Stockbridge, GA. After practice tomorrow morning and afternoon, they begin the trek northward later in the evening. Looking good in those uniforms (to me at least). I know they are incredibly pumped for their first contest in Moon, PA on June 28. Safe travels, Spirit.

• Like 2

WWJOD?  What Would Jim Ott Do?

• Haha 1

@ThirdValvesAreForWimps LOVE the screen name! I am still unsure of the show, It did not really GRAB me but that's not on the kids, I wish nothing but the best for SoA and I know the members are busting their butt and giving it their all. Looking forward to seeing it all progress and evolve over the coming weeks. Best of luck entering the field for competition this week!

• Like 2

Bump. :) What a nice start to the season this evening!

• Like 6