Spirit of Atlanta 2018

On 6/11/2018 at 8:08 PM, CrownBariDad said:

They went from 16th in 2010 to 12th in 2011, so it's not impossible. 

True, but I think DCI today is different than 2011. I think it takes a lot more to move up today than it did event 7 years ago. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

True, but I think DCI today is different than 2011. I think it takes a lot more to move up today than it did event 7 years ago. 

I agree, and I marched in a Spirit of Atlanta corps that went from 23rd one year to 6th the next.

But, who knows? It seems like every year at the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament, there's that one bracket-busting team that outperforms everyone's expectations and predictions. Last year, BAC was what I would call a bracket-buster. Could Spirit be 2018's bracket-buster?  I guess we'll all know the answer pretty soon. Should be a fun season.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, oldsoprano said:

I agree, and I marched in a Spirit of Atlanta corps that went from 23rd one year to 6th the next.

But, who knows? It seems like every year at the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament, there's that one bracket-busting team that outperforms everyone's expectations and predictions. Last year, BAC was what I would call a bracket-buster. Could Spirit be 2018's bracket-buster?  I guess we'll all know the answer pretty soon. Should be a fun season.

You marched in '77 and '78? That's so cool. Were you all shocked at how good you were in '78?

3 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

You marched in '77 and '78? That's so cool. Were you all shocked at how good you were in '78?

While about 98 percent of the '77 corps had never marched drum corps - and most had never even seen a drum corps competition before joining the newly-formed Spirit, we had a very high return rate in '78. Jim Ott tried to tell us in the spring that we were really good and were in for an amazing season, but we didn't believe him. Until. The. Second. Show.

I don't even remember our first show, but I vividly remember our second show in Cedarburg, Wisc., on the old high school football field that was in the middle of a racetrack. The bleachers had an overhang that captured all of the sound, and the crowd went nuts from the first big hit in the show. We began feeding off the crowd's reaction, which raised our energy level about tenfold, I would guess. That night, we beat the Blue Stars, who had finished in 7th the previous year, by 6 points.

Yes, we were very shocked.

Edited by oldsoprano
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

If you scroll back to some 2011 posts here, I think you'll find people saying, "DCI today is different than 2004; I think it takes a lot more to move up today."

That said, both claims could be right! As I have previously shown, there has been a slow trend of the average placement change declining from year to year.

But exceptions still happen. For instance, Troopers jumped five spots from 2012 to 2013, Academy jumped four spots from 2015 to 2016, and Boston jumped six spots from 2016 to 2017.

• Like 3