Spirit of Atlanta 2018

Welcome SOA Dad.  I'm wishing your son and you nothing but greatness.  I live near ATL, but not an alum.

Brave of you to start the corps' 2018 thread.  You will get hype and disdain all at the same time.  Steel yourself!

I fully believe the organization is on an upward trajectory as you mentioned.  They have reorganized, so the structure is in place.  Now, each year, they have to change what didn't work the previous year.  Adapt and change.

I haven't heard about vet retention - does anybody know?

This year I foresee them raising the demand level of their show, and stepping up execution.

On 5/25/2018 at 11:49 AM, SOA Dad said:

First post for me. Father of a new Spirit (and first-time DCI) member. Excited for him and the corps this year. Hopefully on an upward trajectory.

Been following the activity for 5 years now. What these young men and women do on the field is beyond amazing to me. Wishing everyone in the activity this year - members, staff, the many volunteers, judges - a healthy and safe 2018 DCI season.  

Thank you for starting this page! Spirit is my older brothers corps. So, y'all have a special place in my heart as well.... I hope y'all have a great run and I look forward to seeing y'all In SA

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if they could use a REALLY OLD trombone player?

• Like 2

I saw on Twitter that Spirit has a pit member from Japan. So what did they do? Made T-shirts that say "Spirit" in Japanese for all the front ensemble.  So cool!

• Like 7

Excited to hear their new (or should I say 'old') version of Let It Be Me... they found the original Jim Ott manuscripts and are finally transposing it for the current Bb horns. First time in almost 40 years it'll be heard since Jim died.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Dcbae!23 said:

Excited to hear their new (or should I say 'old') version of Let It Be Me... they found the original Jim Ott manuscripts and are finally transposing it for the current Bb horns. First time in almost 40 years it'll be heard since Jim died.

I’m always happy to hear any Ott stuff, but haven’t they played in parking lots and during retreat most years? 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, KennyB said:

I’m always happy to hear any Ott stuff, but haven’t they played in parking lots and during retreat most years? 

They had lost the manuscripts in someone's personal storage for years and they were just rediscovered for the first time. So the versions they'd been playing were close but not quite the real thing. Many had changes and weird quirks, this is the real deal for the first time in a few decades

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Dcbae!23 said:

They had lost the manuscripts in someone's personal storage for years and they were just rediscovered for the first time. So the versions they'd been playing were close but not quite the real thing. Many had changes and weird quirks, this is the real deal for the first time in a few decades

The "recreated" version they had been playing the past few years still gave me goosebumps.  Can't wait to hear the original.

• Like 2

Amazing news. Is it being used in the show? Have the show charts become public yet?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KennyB said:

Amazing news. Is it being used in the show? Have the show charts become public yet?

According to the DCI show thread, it's not in the show. From past experience, I suspect this will be a retreat number or something they'd play after a show in the lot with the Crossmen. 

• Like 2