2018 Tour Premiere

Blue Stars - Love the Carpenters music.  The contrasting pants and workboots look sharp, but they make weaknesses in marching/moving more noticeable.  They're having a lot of fun with the concept.  Brass sounds good, could be a little louder in parts.  

Phantom - the new costumes look great.  Their brass line has improved.  I could've used a little more oomph in the arrangements.  Symphony #9 could be more spirited.  Regardless, this show is worthier of them than last years.  

Boston - Boston had a beautiful show.  Love Marimba Spiritual.  This year's costumes are a slight shock, but they look so much better from on high than 2017's, which faded into the field. The props are great.  The closer was moving.  No tears from me yet, but I'm giving them time.  Wicked Games had more personality at this time last year.  SOS is more complex musically and emotionally.  The MMs need time to master its delivery.

Cavies - Much improved brass. They're marching well.  Music is great.  Delivery was strong. They're solid, and have the bones of a more competitive show this year.  

Bluecoats - They are way too cool!  Love the whole jazz bar concept.  The singer truly sets a mood, soulful yet fun.  The props worked well.  Leave it to Bloo to take us somewhere new.

Crown - not everyone will agree with me, but those costumes are beautiful, from high and up close.  I'm not entirely feeling the concept yet.  Crown brass (no need to elaborate).  Guard was good.  Percussion is becoming a strength.  The rocking prop is fun. Kinda wish they'd start the show with it.  Hopefully they'll do cool things with the other props too.  The drill is tough.  The show is going to take some time to gel.  Right now it's feeling chopped up.  

• Like 5

Can anyone honestly tell me after watching phantoms show what its about? People kept saying their design but that's the problem is their design. The what and the why. Why do the snares play tenors? What's the purpose of the props? Why that shape? I watched the video on the announcement and live I was confused. So if you got answers i will gladly take them. 

• Like 1

Very much enjoyed the Premier. The quality of both Crown and Bluecoats was clear. First and second could have gone either way in my book but I was surprised that Cavaliers were ahead of Boston. Reading the threads though, it certainly sounds like I am out of step, with at least some other opinions? It will be interesting to see how this duel develops over the coming months.

Certainly looking forward to seeing these corps and more live

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Bluecoats. 

You and Hubby nailed it with your prediction that the Bluecoats will win it tonight. That was a cool and fun show from them, and they looked prepared very well for tonites opener. All the Corps I thought did a fine job tonite, each with their own flair. Enjoyable start to the season, imo

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, dcsnare93 said:

I don't get a '15 vibe at all, and people were saying this last year as well. We all know how that turned out.

I'm getting more of a '14 vibe, tbh.

There are some moments I like this year, and there will probably be more come August. Not sure if I'll ever fall in love with Blow it up again though, as I'm not crazy about the drum corps-ized version of it -- perhaps I've just heard the piece too many times.

I think this year's show is very much like the 2015 show. I didn't think that about 2017 at all. Will be interesting to see the direction this show goes.

56 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

So much Crown hate, I love it!

I normally LOVE the Bluecoats, but I absolutely can’t get into this show on first viewing. The colors, the program, none of it grabbed me at all. Wife felt the same way. Extremely disappointed but hoping it grows on me.

As for overall feelings, last season I walked away from the preview show really excited about the upcoming season. Tonight, I’m questioning if I event want to drop the cash on going to the shows. 

To each his own... I enjoyed every show

Edited by mfrontz

6 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Can anyone honestly tell me after watching phantoms show what its about? People kept saying their design but that's the problem is their design. The what and the why. Why do the snares play tenors? What's the purpose of the props? Why that shape? I watched the video on the announcement and live I was confused. So if you got answers i will gladly take them. 

I think the themes have gotten out of control. I'm just not going to read an essay on anyone's show. I just want great playing, great spinning, and great drill - that's it. Frankly, I really don't need to know what anyone's show is about to enjoy it. I don't think one should have to study to enjoy a drum corps show. Throwing shade a Blue Stars here, but I just thought their novel on their 2016 show was absurd. It was really a fantastic show, but I was like, "Nope, not reading this." I didn't enjoy it any less.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

By design in talking about Phantom v Blue Stars, I'm talking about the staging not a 'theme' or 'story' going on.  The design of the show features their talents quite well.  Blue Stars get so wrapped up in theme sometimes their talents get occluded.  For example, as much as the Phantom guard was virtually invisible, the staged parts absolutely shined, particularly the duet.  Blue Stars guard was a much more complex and captivating book, but you sort of had to watch for it as it wasn't put forward.

A couple other stray thoughts.

BAC uniforms, I think they stick out as "not working" for me largely because as someone else put it, the purple spandex doesn't really say "island survivor" to me.  Because literally EVERYTHING ELSE about that show so tightly and eloquently DOES say "island survivor" the uniform not saying that just ... stands out.  

And Bloo...Saro has tons of potential. I felt it was perhaps the weakest part of the show tonight, but had the most opportunity to grow.

Edited by KVG_DC

4 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

I can't tell you... that's also why I really haven't liked Phantom since City of Light... MAYBE Black Swan...

They need to take care and really grow, if not, they could find themselves on the sidelines on Saturday night.

2 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I think the themes have gotten out of control. I'm just not going to read an essay on anyone's show. I just want great playing, great spinning, and great drill - that's it. Frankly, I really don't know to know what anyone's show them is about to enjoy it. I don't think one should have to study to enjoy a drum corps show.

But if you do a straightforward show everyone complains about the design :rolleyes: