2018 Tour Premiere

Check out my newest blog post covering the Tour Premiere! I give my opinions on the corps and the shows and a general overview of the fantastic opening night. Be sure to leave a comment on my blog and let me know what you thought of the opening night. And more importantly, who do you think is gonna separate themselves from the rest of the pack this year?  

Blog- https://drumcorpscenter.wordpress.com/

Twitter- @CenterDrum

• Like 1

Had to go straight to a work assignment after the show, finally have a moment.  Insignificant impressions of a completely unqualified amateur:

Blue Stars - very nice sound.  Both musical and sophisticated.  I'm a little tired of them manufacturing and building things, but a very pleasant show.

Phantom - based on the announcers and live fan reaction, I think they probably sounded a lot better in person.  In my theater, at least, the sound just felt all out of whack.  Not sure why that was for them in particular.  I don't feel like I got any real idea how the brass sounded.  Like the uniforms more than I expected to.  Still hopeful.

Boston - very strong brass sound and a very nice look overall.  I was looking for more story but perhaps it was more about theme than story.  Loved the tarp (that, Blue Devils, is what an ocean looks like). Like the spinning compass and they made good use of it.  Was hard to read the "found" at the end.  I just hope they can stay warm before they run out of witches to keep that fire going.

Cavies - they seem to get a little stronger each year and no exception here.  Strong sound, amazing guard.  Like the creative weaving of Bolero.  The black felt a little dull.  

Bluecoats - my favorite of the night.  Love the jazz-era look, love the music, love the way they make it theirs.  Third year in a row I have loved their show.  Last year just rocked.  Strains of that feeling again out of the gate.  Wanted to get up and dance, and I don't like to dance. Not quite sure what the chair towers were about, and the neon yellow props seemed a little overpowering against the more subtle grey tones.  Love the way the "uniforms" look the same from a distance but show individuality up close. 

Crown - some awesome brass moments, hope there will be more by the end of the season.  Like Boston, I get the theme but not sure if there is more of a story I should be looking for.  The ballad was clean and strong but, to me, missing something.  Didn't get the chills I got from, say, Lost in 2014.  Like the overall look.  Surprised that scales can be flattering on a person.  This show has touches of awesome and I have a feeling it will really grow on me as they build on it throughout the season.

Blue Devils - dear God I forgot how incredible that show was.  I mean..., I just..., I almost..., I can't even..., I'm just..., I mean holy..., just really, really...omg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Blue Stars: Loved the music and the brass are really good. I think the brass can handle more meat. Better vehicle than Phantom, could help them push into top 9.

Phantom: Honestly not that interesting. Music was fine, especially the opener. Not sure what the point of the props and tarp are.

Boston: Lots of potential. Drill was some of the more difficult and interesting stuff of the night. I think they can push into the top 5.

Cavaliers: Design is very coherent for this point in the season. Brass is definitely much stronger. My favorite of the night. 

Crown: Brass is amazing of course. Theme still under-developed and prop was underused. I like it better than last year, but not totally impressed yet. 

Bluecoats: Best performers of the night, but the show's not really sticking with me much. Singer is great. Going have to see where this goes.

The camera directing was awful.

Edited by Narrow
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Narrow said:

Blue Stars: Loved the music and the brass are really good. I think the brass can handle more meat. Better vehicle than Phantom, could help them push into top 9.

Phantom: Honestly not that interesting. Music was fine, especially the opener. Not sure what the point of the props and tarp are.

Boston: Lots of potential. Drill was some of the more difficult and interesting stuff of the night. I think they can push into the top 5.

Cavaliers: Design is very coherent for this point in the season. Brass is definitely much stronger. My favorite of the night. 

Crown: Brass is amazing of course. Theme still under-developed and prop was underused. I like it better than last year, but not totally impressed yet. 

Bluecoats: Best performers of the night, but the show's not really sticking with me much. Singer is great. Going have to see where this goes.

The camera directing was awful.

i predict that the cavaliers will end up 1st or 2nd out of this bunch at finals

• Like 5

After all the hype this year (esp for Boston), I guess you can't help but feel the actual shows are a bit of a let down!  Was expecting more from a few corps.  Really like that BC is pushing their own boundaries and trying something new (but feels like their guard could be their achilles heel this year).

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I wasn't able to go, so i enjoyed social media commentary. A few thoughts:

the new way to get scores and a recap on the DCi site ABSOLUTELY SUCKS!!! This is the most user unfriendly thing I have ever seen on a website in the activity, and lord knows i thought my circuits site pre-2009 sucked even for those times.

Looking at the recap....looks like, as expected, only guard and percussion had the balls to make calls.

Can't wait to log in Saturday night and watch!

The DrumScorps app is my goto for scores and recaps. Love the color coding on the captions for 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I wasn't able to go, so i enjoyed social media commentary. A few thoughts:

the new way to get scores and a recap on the DCi site ABSOLUTELY SUCKS!!! This is the most user unfriendly thing I have ever seen on a website in the activity, and lord knows i thought my circuits site pre-2009 sucked even for those times.

Looking at the recap....looks like, as expected, only guard and percussion had the balls to make calls.

Can't wait to log in Saturday night and watch!

Exactly! 

I apologize for any confusion or misunderstanding.

Can  someone share with me what Crowns show is suppose to be? Beauty and the beast?

Besides the show title Beast, what is the  significance of the costumes? 

How does the music selections translate the Beast theme?

What are the white props on the field: bones, teeth or claws? What are they used for? 

Edited by Jim Schehr
  • Like 1