2018 Tour Premiere

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I wasn't able to go, so i enjoyed social media commentary. A few thoughts:

the new way to get scores and a recap on the DCi site ABSOLUTELY SUCKS!!! This is the most user unfriendly thing I have ever seen on a website in the activity, and lord knows i thought my circuits site pre-2009 sucked even for those times.

Looking at the recap....looks like, as expected, only guard and percussion had the balls to make calls.

Can't wait to log in Saturday night and watch!

There’s an app for that :)

posted from the DrumScorps app

Edited by DrumScorps
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Caught a video of Bloo...  Will have to search around for Crown and Cavies when I get a chance.

Initial thoughts:

Someone mentioned that Bloo has a somewhat low or lower ceiling.  I don't know about lower without comparison, but it certainly isn't low.  They are fairly polished right now, but there is enormous room for expansion there.  More than they had in the last 3 years... they just have to use it.  The show is quite obviously incomplete, which is unlike them... maybe it's a strategy?

Secondly, the 90's called and they want their music back... I LOVE it!  Even with all the pretentious, aggressive hits, it sounds like some old school drumcorps jazz shows.

Speaking of which... Who are the... Blue Devils?  Oh! They play jazz too!?  That's cute... Bless their dear hearts.

I like the uniforms much better than last year.

Lastly, they seem to have their closer in the opening and the opener at the close.  They could stand to use a typical integrated reprise at the end to close the deal.

Lookin' good.  They are definitely in a different strategy with their preparation and completeness. But they seem to be intentional about it and in control... not outside of the curve.  We'll see if it pays off.

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Like 4

All were good. In order of my interest:

1 Cavaliers

2 Boston

3 Phantom 

4 Blue Stars

5 Bluecoats

6 Crown

4 hours ago, skevinp said:

Bluecoats - my favorite of the night.  Love the jazz-era look, love the music, love the way they make it theirs.  Third year in a row I have loved their show.  Last year just rocked.  Strains of that feeling again out of the gate.  Wanted to get up and dance, and I don't like to dance. Not quite sure what the chair towers were about, and the neon yellow props seemed a little overpowering against the more subtle grey tones.  Love the way the "uniforms" look the same from a distance but show individuality up close. 

IMG_9682.jpg

• Like 1

I had a great time last night.  I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the theater experience.  Thank you to all the corps for their preparedness.  I know the shows weren't fully complete, but I found all the corps entertaining.

No judging comments, just fan enjoyment.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the new way to get scores and a recap on the DCi site ABSOLUTELY SUCKS!!! This is the most user unfriendly thing I have ever seen on a website in the activity, and lord knows i thought my circuits site pre-2009 sucked even for those times.

Exactly right.  Whoever designed this had no clue what users want and the way users think.  One of the worst UIs I have seen.

7 hours ago, pbeau said:

Drum corps at the theater still a distant second to seeing the corps live.

Understand not a big draw at the theater ,14st Union Square only had 14 people there.dont belive they will show DCI again.During one interview the kid called them BANDS LOL

8 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Since I’m probably older than 90% of you, Let me just say that I was really diggin’ the beatnik vibe from Bloo. Bloopit was killing me with the black turtlenecks, berets,  and shades. Beboppin it. 

I loved the beatnik vibe too. The kids really got into their roles. The fake out in the opener with the build to a company front but without melting our faces off was great!

I’m not a fan of voice  but the young lady singing fit the theme of the show well.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

Let’s get the bad out of the way first:  That was the most horrific production DCI has ever aired.   

Talking over the corps was rude and unprofessional but the camera work looked like it was directed by Stevie Wonder.  Why are the cameras aimed at a baritone during a trumpet solo?   There were lots of cool ensemble visuals going on but you would never know it because Stevie had the camera in someone’s face in the pit.  

With that being said, movie theater sound systems punch out too much bass and not enough treble.  It sounded like every brass arrangement was made my Meghan Trainor because everyone knows she’s “all about that bass.”  It will sound better when I hear it live next week.

Now for the good:  Every corps was in performance mode and brought lots of energy.  These rankings will change and flip flop all season; the scores were too close to see any trends.

Oh yes, vocals:  No bueno y no mas!

I kept scratching my head and thinking..Why the heck did they let Flo do the camera work. May not have been, but it sure had their signature.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, pistolpete said:

I loved the beatnik vibe too. The kids really got into their roles. The fake out in the opener with the build to a company front but without melting our faces off was great!

I’m not a fan of voice  but the young lady singing fit the theme of the show well.

The pit looked as if they’d walked out of a Jack Kerouac novel.  Freaking cool!  

• Like 2