2018 Tour Premiere

6 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I wouldn't say I'm a crazy Cadet fan. I love them, but SCV, Madison and Crown are my favorites. Cadets would probably be my 4th favorite. That being said, I think it's Crown, Bluecoats, Cavaliers, and perhaps Boston that don't need to worry about the Cadets. They were 7th last year after all, they have been on a downward trend, they had a huge shake up this year. I hope they the rival the top 6, but they certainly aren't going to rival SCV and BD, and probably won't beat anyone else in the top 5 from last year either. Probably a rebuilding year for them. Probably 6th at best. Please note - I said probably many times.

So I’m going to probably presume you haven’t seen or heard them yet. :laughing:

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

I thought Crown was the best tonight but I think their show isn't finished yet. 

Cavs had some great brass. 

I think Boston has the most room to grow and I expect them to close that gap. 

Phantom was just plain boring. 

Blue Stars have a lot of room to grow as well and they were quite messy. They should close that gap and I think they will end up over Phantom this season. 

People have complained before about DCI turning into WGI with brass. I never really understood what that meant until tonight.

A lot of costumes and I'm not sure I like it. I'm more of a traditionalist and I liked last season's Crown a lot.more than this one. Not even sure where they're going with this. 

Are we seeing the day when Blue Devils can arguably be called the most traditional corps of the season?? Wow.

Also I think it's just very distasteful to not cover your body. I don't want to see 120 hairy armpits during a drum corps performance. I expect that during rehearsal but not for a performance. Good God.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

You haven’t seen or heard them, have you?

I have. Granted it was video. I think it's an ok show (at least right now). It will get better and beefier like everyone's will. I like it better than the last two years. It's a good move in the right direction, but I don't think from a design standpoint it's in the same league as Cavies, Bluecoats and Crown (I'm not crazy about BD's show this year, but  it will get exceptionally better by end of season, their execution will keep them ahead of Cadets, and several others), and all indications point to SCV being as good or better than last year. I also think expecting the Cadets to execute as well, or better, than last year's top 5 is a lot to ask. The Cadets simply don't draw in the top talent anymore - the top 6 from last year do. 

You have to observe trends. What BAC did last year is a huge anomaly. It happened because of their staff acquisitions. They brought in a top team that top talent wanted to work with, and they had an exceptional show design (which in itself his HUGE). That top team and show design helped them to exceed expectations. That doesn't happen every year. It is hard as hell, normally, to move up. From a design and execution standpoint, for the Cadets, 2015 to 2016 was a gargantuan drop. 2017 was a further drop from 2016 - perhaps not in design (although it wasn't a very good one) but definitely in execution. The Cadets have been on a downward trend, the aren't drawing the talent they used to, and they had a huge scandal and shake up this year. That, to me, does not bode well for them breaking into the top 5 this year.

I think they are better off now then they were in the recent past, and their future is bright. I think they will be better this year, but breaking into that top 5 is going to prove nearly impossible for anyone who wasn't there last year. I think probably 6th is the best they can hope for, and that's not bad. A step in the right direction definitely. Even if they placed 10th (which I don't think they will) I still would think they are headed in the right direction and have a bright future.

You can see by tonight, that it looks like BAC started off this year right where they left off last year - in 6th. So, very hard to move up even if you have all the right pieces in place.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 2

Glad the season is upon us.  Good show tonight but nobody blew me away.  Can't wait to see the Cali corps...  :bluedevil:

I thought phantom was lackluster and colors didnt pop on the field.  Bloo colorguard was invisible in those dark solids. And i thought CROWN visual was terrible. Brown is so blah. Detail only visible on field and in closeup which the judges don’t see. I think they have all just gift wrapped the visual and GE scores to the Devils!

• Like 4