Madison Scouts survey: all male v.s. Co ed

Madison Scouts survey  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Madison Scouts remain all male or go Co ed?

• Remain all male
    • Go Co ed

On 6/5/2018 at 5:40 PM, chadwick_michael said:

Great point! A policy is only as good as its enforcement, anyway. But sure, I'll ask DCI if they have ended discrimination against old people :91_thumbsup:

Really begs the question as to why have an age barrier at all.

To me, being all-male is a part of the Madison Scouts identity.  If there were not many co-ed corps then I would advocate for them to change and become co-ed.  However, as there are only two all-male corps and every other corps is co-ed I think it is safe to say that there are a lot of opportunities for both men and women in the drum corps activity.  So I think it's good for Madison to stay all-male.  Now, with regards to trans-gendered members, I would say that a trans man would fit the all-male masculine identity of the Scouts, so I think accepting trans males would make sense.

Overall, an identity is in many ways the most important aspect of a drum corps.  In the case of Madison being masculine is a big part of that identity and guides the design of their shows, etc.  Other corps get their identity in different ways.  None of these corps should give up their identities, in fact I think all them should accentuate what makes them unique.

• Like 3

On 6/4/2018 at 5:11 PM, Forevergreen said:

The Boy Scouts have gone co-ed. Both the Scouts and the Cavaliers have scout troop charters.  I don’t feel one way or another about it.  

I don't the think the Cavaliers have a scout charter. I know originally they did, but I don't think there has been an affiliation in decades. I know when I marched in 79, there was nothing about the Boy Scouts ever mentioned. I didn't know they formed from a scout troop until years after I marchied. Madison, I believe was different. I had a couple of friends march with Madison in the early 80's and it was my understanding every member had to technically become a Boy Scout. 

On 6/1/2018 at 7:59 AM, MikeN said:

Madison can still put on "Madison"-type shows whether it's men or women playing, drumming or spinning.  I say go co-ed.

Mike

giphy.gif

14 hours ago, Scerpella said:

Really begs the question as to why have an age barrier at all.

they don't in the all age classification

Edited by Jeff Ream

Would this be about the right place for the gratuitous "how long till the season starts?" post?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Would this be about the right place for the gratuitous "how long till the season starts?" post?

2 weeks from today.

55 minutes ago, DAvery said:

I don't the think the Cavaliers have a scout charter. I know originally they did, but I don't think there has been an affiliation in decades. I know when I marched in 79, there was nothing about the Boy Scouts ever mentioned. I didn't know they formed from a scout troop until years after I marchied. Madison, I believe was different. I had a couple of friends march with Madison in the early 80's and it was my understanding every member had to technically become a Boy Scout. 

Scouting had a much more key factor in the history of Madison compared to the corps from greater Chicago. Madison Scouts corps has performed at the international Scout Jamboree in Paris, France; has camped out at drum corps contests in pub tents...or without any tents at all such as the 1990s when their housing fell through for the Allentown show; has modelled their uniforms at times copying what was the uniform of the day of Explorer Scouts. The Cavies (who originally wore blue satin uniforms before the green) went off in an entirely different direction from the Church of the Advent to Park Ridge to Chicago to Rosemont (and some joke today about their Texas affiliations.) Different corps, different histories, very different approaches but both serving the development of young men into great adults.