Madison Scouts survey: all male v.s. Co ed

Madison Scouts survey  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Madison Scouts remain all male or go Co ed?

• Remain all male
    • Go Co ed

On 6/7/2018 at 12:02 PM, BigW said:

I was told by someone connected at one point it "ruined the corps". Considering the source, I heavily discount the veracity of their statement.

That someone was correct.

On 6/7/2018 at 12:07 PM, Terri Schehr said:

We (Guardsmen) didn’t make finals in ‘77.  The offseason (78, when they went coed), quite a few of our guard left and went to Kilts.  Which turned out to be pretty funny because we got better, beat them in finals by about 3 points.  The Kilts never made finals again. 

1977 Guardsmen should have made finals. I loved the 1978 G-Men show. 1979 Guardsmen were great. Awesome hornline & color guard. I loved marching & playing this show.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2018 at 1:02 PM, BigW said:

I was told by someone connected at one point it "ruined the corps". Considering the source, I heavily discount the veracity of their statement.

I can recall reading in the DCI yearbook stories about a disastrous winter where the roof caved in on the corps hall and major snowstorms kept the corps from practicing which during the “tic” days would have been a death blow. I also seem to remember hearing they lost members as the season progressed. My thought is this had more to do with the demise of the corps as fans knew it than anything else. Though Kilties rebounded after missing finals in 76, missing finals in 79 was an obstacle that they could not overcome.

9 hours ago, Tim K said:

I can recall reading in the DCI yearbook stories about a disastrous winter where the roof caved in on the corps hall and major snowstorms kept the corps from practicing which during the “tic” days would have been a death blow. I also seem to remember hearing they lost members as the season progressed. My thought is this had more to do with the demise of the corps as fans knew it than anything else. Though Kilties rebounded after missing finals in 76, missing finals in 79 was an obstacle that they could not overcome.

The 1980 off-season was the deciding factor.  The corps was (A) not in a very strong financial position, (B) the national economy was really hitting some areas of the country hard (if not the whole country) and more importantly......(C) local base involvement (as far as membership).....was way, way down; mostly due to the economic factors within the area.  Members could no longer take off work, etc. in order to remain involved during the competitive season (as many were able to do in prior seasons).  The corps had 50 (or so) active members throughout the off-season, the other (around) 80 were just on "paper" and not showing for rehearsals.  The decision was made to not field, although the Kiltie Kadets continued for a few more seasons; and the Kiltie booster/parent's club kept active continuing to support the Kiltie Kadets and retire some of the organization's old debt.

Edited by bill
  • Like 1

On 6/7/2018 at 12:25 PM, cowtown said:

curious, when Kilties went co-ed, was that a desperation act or a death nail?  

Which time?  In the 1970's it was a desperation act.

When they came back as a Sr Corps they were originally all-male; when they went co-ed it added considerably to the membership, if not their placing at DCA.  Terri S. could probably elaborate considerably on this

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

24 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Both were in a black / white / red color scheme so that may have contributed to the confusion.

It most certainly did.  At least in my memory banks!

44 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Which time?  In the 1970's it was a desperation act.

When they came back as a Sr Corps they were originally all-male; when they went co-ed it added considerably to the membership, if not their placing at DCA.  Terri S. could probably elaborate considerably on this

I don’t think going co-ed helped much at all.  Most of the Kilts junior alums left in droves after ‘99.  By their last year (2015), you could probably count the Kilts junior alums in that corps on one hand. 

All I can say is that whatever they do they better make sure that they take into account the suicide rate for transgender persons and have gone over this with a fine tooth comb.  The stress of a drum corps season does many things.  Hope them all the best this year.

Having just voted, I am intrigued what motivates this timely Socio/Financial conversation. The all-mighty Mission Statement penned by every 501c3 is lofty and vague at best. As a fan I have always considered the remaining  all male corps to have the deepest traditions and yes, Brotherhood that exemplifies their Mission Statement. The Mission Statement seems to be wielded as a weapon against this time honored tradition.  If the organization is willing to reinvent themselves for a greater genetic pool I fear they can't see the forest for the trees.  If we force inclusiveness and become " like everyone else" then we are all diminished.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1