Madison Scouts survey: all male v.s. Co ed

Madison Scouts survey  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Madison Scouts remain all male or go Co ed?

• Remain all male
    • Go Co ed

42 minutes ago, xandandl said:

do you mean calcification?

ha, ha, ole DCA fossil.

ha good catch!

And in their recent quest to bland band out into the generic fabric of current DCI tends…

Actually, I don’t have a stake in this and it feels wrong to open it to a public vote but one of the few, remaining scraps Madison has left of an identity is being all male. Which upon writing, seems kind of pathetic and is a stupid reason so kill it, kill it dead

36 minutes ago, cowtown said:

curious, when Kilties went co-ed, was that a desperation act or a death nail?  

I was told by someone connected at one point it "ruined the corps". Considering the source, I heavily discount the veracity of their statement.

5 minutes ago, BigW said:

I was told by someone connected at one point it "ruined the corps". Considering the source, I heavily discount the veracity of their statement.

We (Guardsmen) didn’t make finals in ‘77.  The offseason (78, when they went coed), quite a few of our guard left and went to Kilts.  Which turned out to be pretty funny because we got better, beat them in finals by about 3 points.  The Kilts never made finals again. 

Edited by Terri Schehr

On 6/5/2018 at 8:55 PM, runyancm said:

First of all, I would like to sincerely thank you for joining this discussion.  I found the article fascinating, and appreciate this additional context.

The whole time reading this thread, I was thinking that the primary input for the decision to go co-ed should come from current and former members.  The "Do you support going co-ed" question and results are interesting enough, but I wonder if many might find the question pejorative, and skew the results.  Was there a question that tried to weigh how much the fact that the corps was all male factored into their decision to march there?  Or a question that tried to weigh it's impact on their experience marching there?  Those might be more telling if the all-male aspect of the corps is serving a need consistent with the mission statement. 

Thank you!

Yes, besides gender eligibility questions, a few questions to the 2016 members assessed (1) the members' motivation to march DCI; (2) their thoughts on recommending the corps to a friend; and (3) their thoughts on electronic amplification.

See the full SurveyMonkey poll here

Notes:

• Other years (2007, 2011) were polled as well, but a statistically representative sample was not obtained during the survey window.
  • Alumni contact data are practically non-existent for members that marched prior to 2005.
  • Above link expires in 30 days due to premium SM subscription requirements. Take a screenshot, it'll last longer!

8 hours ago, xandandl said:

Scouting had a much more key factor in the history of Madison compared to the corps from greater Chicago. Madison Scouts corps has performed at the international Scout Jamboree in Paris, France; has camped out at drum corps contests in pub tents...

Wait! There are PUB tents! And to think I always hated camping.  :guinesssmilie:

Though aren't most of the Scouts too young to hang around pub tents?  :peek:   

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

Wait! There are PUB tents! And to think I always hated camping.  :guinesssmilie:

Though aren't most of the Scouts too young to hang around pub tents?  :peek:   

what can I say, I'm just a young pup.

(And I don't doubt that over the years someone did try a pub tent. Remember they're from Wisconsin...Schlitz, Pabst, Miller, New Glarus, and all those noobies.)

[Edit: I have two siblings who are Marquette U grads from the Warriors era.]

Edited by xandandl

On 6/7/2018 at 11:25 AM, cowtown said:

curious, when Kilties went co-ed, was that a desperation act or a death nail?  

YES.

On 6/7/2018 at 9:25 AM, BigBadMadMan said:

giphy.gif

Yea, No.