Madison Scouts survey: all male v.s. Co ed

Madison Scouts survey  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Madison Scouts remain all male or go Co ed?

• Remain all male
    • Go Co ed

2 hours ago, chadwick_michael said:

(5) ...and what of the new DCI rules prohibiting various forms of discrimination?

Under new DCI protections adopted in May 2018 in response to the George Hopkins' allegations, DCI made a firm statement against discrimination and harassment:

"Discrimination, or adverse treatment of an individual based on a protected status, with the exception of any participating organizations' lawful and artistically-informed casting decisions, is inconsistent with DCI's values. Discriminatory harassment on such a basis is strictly prohibited. "Protected status" is defined as an individual's race, color, creed, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, marital status, veteran status, disability or physical ability, or other legally protected classification."

The statement seems pretty clear: general co-ed eligibility is now required by DCI except for "lawful and artistically-informed casting decisions." I have sent a message to the DCI Ethics office requesting clarification on the extent of this policy, but it's possible that someone on this forum has insight as to if there's some sort of planned accommodation for the The Scouts or The Cavaliers (or all-female corps, for that matter).

----

Long post, but I hope it helps shed some light on the issue and recent developments. 

Thanks for reading! MYNWA, and Happy Pride Month!

And the Law of Unintended Consequences strikes again (not saying that this is a bad or good thing, just that I don't think this was what was on DCI's mind when they came up with the policy)

Just now, IllianaLancerContra said:

Apparently  - I knew I had seen them since 1994, and the Corpsreps successor gave the info.

I remember them being small & young in the late 90s.  But they were on the field

They were around BITD... IIRC, competed in the short lived Girls Corps International circa 1979-1980 along with Ventures, St. Ignatius, and Les Chats, see them in ODCA rundowns in DCW. Unfortunately never had the chance to see them.

Along with GCI, there was CCI, Cadet Corps International, where Madison, SCV, BD, the Cavies, and Kilts I believe competed in that period, also short lived.

1 minute ago, BigW said:

They were around BITD... IIRC, competed in the short lived Girls Corps International circa 1979-1980 along with Ventures, St. Ignatius, and Les Chats, see them in ODCA rundowns in DCW. Unfortunately never had the chance to see them.

Along with GCI, there was CCI, Cadet Corps International, where Madison, SCV, BD, the Cavies, and Kilts I believe competed in that period, also short lived.

I remember competing against them in the early 80s.  They wore kilt-like skirts (or would that be skirt-like kilts?).  Black,white & red color scheme.

• Like 1

Thoughts on this tangent- involving all-female corps-- I found this article.

http://www.saultstar.com/2011/09/20/we-had-a-good-run

They had a lady director throughout its existence. She said this:

"A lot entered the corps as girls and left us as mature young women ... They learned life-skills -- camaraderie, self-discipline and self-confidence -- over time,"

When I've read statements concerning these corps or talked to alumni of them, there's a sense/common thread of building confidence and empowerment. Can you do this in a co-ed situation? Of course. Just another thing to think about here. Do young men need that too? All things to think about. Maybe some do, I don't know the answers. Should perhaps opportunities across the spectrum exist? I don't know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Bandettes were last on field in 2004.  13th in Div 3

Thanks! I must have swapped Bandettes for Les Stentors in my brain because that is definitely the corps I meant to refer to in an earlier post.

18 minutes ago, ndkbass said:

Thanks! I must have swapped Bandettes for Les Stentors in my brain because that is definitely the corps I meant to refer to in an earlier post.

All good. Memories are strange. I need to find my Atlanta CV bucket hat... is it in the car trunk? :huh: