Isreali Day Parade& DCA

49 minutes ago, HBD said:

You got that right! 

Actually my count was incorrect. They were five across. Looks to be 11 or 12 lines. I’m sure with graduation all the corps were short members. 

Edited by Jim Schehr

3 hours ago, Florida Sun said:

i onlby counted 35 brass cadets they where 4 across.y friends inn Manhatten at the parade only counted 35 brass?

Better fix those CIA satellites you are using there in Serbia. Evidently some EU distortion.

Cadets2 (who appear at 2hours 21 minutes of the Israeli TV video of the parade) had 7 contras present and 35 other middle and lower brass before I even rewound to count the high brass. Perhaps your friends confused them with the Raiders also wearing black?

C2 was playing Hava Nagila arranged appropriately by alum Dr. Drew Shanefield. It was Drew while working at Cavaliers put the first shofar (ram's horn) into a DCI brass show-arrangement (The Great Divide.) Hava was once a Boston Crusaders competitive show mainstay (63, 67, 68, 69, 70, 73, 76, 77,78, 87) like Conquest.

Edited by xandandl
  • Haha 1

Honestly, IMO it's very tough to fully gauge how a corps is doing by their turnout at nearly any parade. Heck, back in the Stone Age when things supposedly were better...:ninja:... we had some parade turnouts that were less than stellar, shall we say.  LOL.

The only way to totally, definitely figure out how a corps is doing... is their final score on championship weekend.  Channeling my inner Jeff Ream here. :tongue:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Honestly, IMO it's very tough to fully gauge how a corps is doing by their turnout at nearly any parade. Heck, back in the Stone Age when things supposedly were better...:ninja:... we had some parade turnouts that were less than stellar, shall we say.  LOL.

The only way to totally, definitely figure out how a corps is doing... is their final score on championship weekend.  Channeling my inner Jeff Ream here. :tongue:

OT I listened to the ‘77 Sunrisers tonight.  #### y’all, you had a really great hornline. And ‘81. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Jim Schehr said:

Actually my count was incorrect. They were five across. Looks to be 11 or 12 lines. I’m sure with graduation all the corps were short members. 

It doesn’t matter.  C2 looked great and I wouldn’t be engraving any names on any trophies yet. 

4 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

ha! lots of graduation stuff in the region this weekend for sure. I know...I was at one for a Bucs member and we facetimed their cousin in SCV

9 hours ago, xandandl said:

C2 was playing Hava Nagila arranged appropriately by alum Dr. Drew Shanefield.

IIRC, when I was a HS kid, we looked seriously at entering this parade because of the neat contest format at that time. Part of the rules were that you needed to play some kind of Israeli/Jewish themed piece or get a pretty fat score penalty. It was at least one point... may have been up to a five point penalty at that time. Nice to hear Drew cooked up something appropriate for the event, I'm certain it was greatly appreciated!

I don't know if they have the "semi-incognito judges" (this was how the rules stated it BITD) interspersed throughout the parade route instead of just one designated judging area anymore. We felt it would be a plus for us since we played a lot and didn't play the game of saving it up for the judging area.

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

OT I listened to the ‘77 Sunrisers tonight.  #### y’all, you had a really great hornline. And ‘81. 

Don't get me started about '81 Sun. Fran and I will discuss that for pages and pages... :innocent::guinesssmilie:

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Thanks you!!!  In 12 years of marching junior corps and then Sunrisers... that 1977 summer, as a deer-in-the-headlights DCA rookie,  was the most memorable for me, without a doubt.

IMO, our horn line was even better in 1978 than '77.  Won the High Brass trophy at finals in '78, with a perfect 10 in GE Brass. 

One of Sun's best-ever years in 1978. 17 shows, including prelims and finals... and 14 wins.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1