Isreali Day Parade& DCA

2 hours ago, BigW said:

Don't get me started about '81 Sun. Fran and I will discuss that for pages and pages... :innocent::guinesssmilie:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

40 minutes ago, bill said:

Wearing black made them look smaller.  :-)

Wasn’t a skirt. 

Edited by Jim Schehr

9 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Thanks you!!!  In 12 years of marching junior corps and then Sunrisers... that 1977 summer, as a deer-in-the-headlights DCA rookie,  was the most memorable for me, without a doubt.

IMO, our horn line was even better in 1978 than '77.  Won the High Brass trophy at finals in '78, with a perfect 10 in GE Brass. 

One of Sun's best-ever years in 1978. 17 shows, including prelims and finals... and 14 wins.

Well, now I will listen to ‘78,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Well, now I will listen to ‘78,

We smoothed out a rough edge or two in 1978.  LOL. Especially in the "English Folk Song Suite" opener and "Evergreen" closer.

Gene Bennett's visual design for "Evergreen" was nothing short of genius. And the company-front final power push in that tune... man, I still smile when I think about that.

We had 53 horns in 1977... 51 in '78. Not the biggest line out there... we never had the most numbers... but we could bring the heat when needed.  :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

We smoothed out a rough edge or two in 1978.  LOL. Especially in the "English Folk Song Suite" opener and "Evergreen" closer.

Gene Bennett's visual design for "Evergreen" was nothing short of genius. And the company-front final power push in that tune... man, I still smile when I think about that.

We had 53 horns in 1977... 51 in '78. Not the biggest line out there... we never had the most numbers... but we could bring the heat when needed.  :tongue:

The biggest brassline I was in, besides Royal-Airs reunion and we weren’t competing, was 56 in ‘78. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

The biggest brassline I was in, besides Royal-Airs reunion and we weren’t competing, was 56 in ‘78. 

I'm pretty sure the biggest brass line in Sunriser history was the 56 we had in 1979. 

My last year there... 1982, when we won our third DCA title... we had 42 horns by season's end. Honestly, having a smaller line never really bothered us.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Gene Bennett's visual design for "Evergreen" was nothing short of genius. And the company-front final pow.er push in that tune... man, I still smile when I think about that.

What a great man whom I got the pleasure to work with at LIK. I was unable to make his funeral due to hospitalization, but his mark was well established and worth remembering. RIP.

Just watched a video of C2 in the parade. That is the biggest "35 member horn line" I ever saw. LOL! I'm no mathematician, but my first look says there were more than 35 in the line. Everybody is looking to fill spots in their corps. Getting those last spots filled, takes a considerable amount of effort. Same as it ever was... same as it ever was....

Edited by hairbear
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, hairbear said:

Just watched a video of C2 in the parade. That is the biggest "35 member horn line" I ever saw. LOL! I'm no mathematician, but my first look says there were more than 35 in the line. Everybody is looking to fill spots in their corps. Getting those last spots filled, takes a considerable amount of effort. Same as it ever was... same as it ever was....

The Black uniform makes them look smaller! :biggrin:

• Haha 1