2018 Uniforms!

3 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

Watchmen had BD's 2003 unis, I think....and of course, Nightfire in 96 used the 85 Freelancer shaka vests.

Capital Sound bought and wore the old cadet jackets freelancers unis in ‘99 when the semi caught on fire and burned up the unis. 

Edited by Terri Schehr

6 hours ago, Lance said:

correct

but show this to a random group of 100 people, and ask them what the people are wearing:

95e694f3e98ecd2ce20d4c749fc5644c.jpg

be honest, and tell me how many people would call it a uniform

It's a uniform because they all look the same, as opposed to cotumes which may have multiple variations or represent different characters. We think in terms of military uniforms because of our hisotircal roots, but UPS drivers and Burger King employees wear "uniforms" too.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jpaul said:

It's a uniform because they all look the same, as opposed to cotumes which may have multiple variations or represent different characters. 

i understand the definition of uniform. i'm talking pragmatics. 

these are all the same. 

would anybody call it a uniform? 

matraca-twirl.jpg

to be clear, i don't care what people call it

i wore a uniform in the marine corps for 4 years, and i'm pretty familiar with the term. and it's not like i'm one of those crazies who gets upset over corps not wearing military-style outfits.  they're wearing exactly what's appropriate for the activity, imo. 

call it whatever you want, but "costume" is every bit as appropriate as "uniform" for what most corps are wearing nowadays. 

in terms of dci, pragmatically speaking, the 2 terms are interchangeable. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

If we want to get technical, everyone thinks of a "band uniform" as a uniform. Nobody says "your band costume". So, let's just stick with uniform, and give it up. Seriously, is this about the become an annual thing like "so and so corps is stepping it up this year!" Or many of the the other quotes from earlier in another thread? Jeez.

• Like 3

I prefer looks with head gear as I not only like the pop of color, I think it makes the drill look better from the stands.  It is what it is.  It broke my heart to see SCV without their Aussies last year, but I got over it.  

• Like 3

With more and more Corps moving into theme specific attire each season, and wanting to associate what they do as an Art Form, and something that is akin to a " Broadway Production " show, I have no difficulties transitioning into calling the attire now worn as " costumes ". Its not a perjorative phrase as I utilize it either. It merely reflects the reality of what they are, and in light of the fact, the Show Designers themselves associate their production as "theatre " with Music/ Dance/ Singing/  Make Up, etc. Generally speaking, when I attend a Broadway styled Production, they do not refer to the attire worn by the performers as " uniforms ". They are typically referred to as " the costuming in the show ".... and performers " wearing  costumes " that reflect the period piece of the show. Its ok to utilize " uniforms ", too if people still feel the need to retain that time honored nomenclature. But allow those of us that prefer to call these " costumes " now the deference to do so. Beyond the name one prefers for the attire, its really what we all think of the attire itself as it relates to the chosen theme on the field for that season that matters the most now, imo

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

FWIW... Cavies were rehearsing in their Aussies last night. So I’ll assume they’re being worn at least part of the show.

• Like 8