2018 Uniforms!

2 minutes ago, xandandl said:

But you other guys always pin up the wrong side of the hat!

Image may contain: one or more people and outdoor

I always thought we pinned up the correct side of the hat.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, littlejaw said:

I always thought we pinned up the correct side of the hat.

when I did some work with them, it was always a discussion in the box about the ensemble look when the drill originally wrote the contras being interspersed with other horn players; usually the drill was re-written for a smoother look that didn't highlight these gaps. Why all the hats weren't pinned like the contras was never explained satisfactorily. We were always laughing when the rookies wanted the contras to use the other shoulder.

1 minute ago, xandandl said:

when I did some work with them, it was always a discussion in the box about the ensemble look when the drill originally wrote the contras being interspersed with other horn players; usually the drill was re-written for a smoother look that didn't highlight these gaps. Why all the hats weren't pinned like the contras was never explained satisfactorily. We were always laughing when the rookies wanted the contras to use the other shoulder.

Never made sense to me either. I just hit my dots lol.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2018 at 12:07 PM, xandandl said:

or is this another part of the narcissism age (Me, Me, Me) where individuality is made to be greater than being part of the whole? How else can my fans post all those great photos and selfies of me if they can't see my beauuuuuutiful face?  My brand, not the corps' brand. Besides that's how we do it indoors in WGI

I will say indoors is a lot different in that the audience is much closer to the action.  When I am sitting outside halfway up the stands on the 50, I cannot see the corps members expressions.  The head gear just looks better for summer, but like I posted earlier, if this is a change that is permanent I will just have to adjust.

Agree jmc5682!

When I attend most large ensemble performances, be it wind band, mixed choirs, jazz bands, marching bands, drum corps [yes-I distinguish these genres] orchestras; I am either in one of two observation placements:

1) Close enough to view performers and their expressions, and most times they're not "delivering" performance emotion

2) Far enough away to not consider/value the delivery of facial emotion/expressions.

SO, I focus on the performance categories most important to me, music ensemble being foremost. Visual in the marching arts next, and absence of headgear certainly diminishes my reading-and corresponding appreciation of the visual ensemble's performance FWIW.