2018 Uniforms!

19 hours ago, lindap said:

No worries. Drum corps is always about the music. Close your eyes and listen or open your eyes, listen and watch people perform to the music with added delights. Both are good.

Only for the fans, not the judges. The past ten years (2008-2017), on Finals night...

1. The DCI Champion has finished 1st in Brass 3 times (30%)
  2. The DCI Champion has finished 1st in Musical Ensemble/Analysis 5 times (50%)
  3. The DCI Champion has finished 1st in Percussion 4 times (40%)

The past ten years (2008-2017), on Finals night...

1. The DCI Champion has finished 1st in Visual Performance 7 times (70%)
  2. The DCI Champion has finished 1st in Visual Ensemble/Analysis 7 times (70%)
  3. The DCI Champion has finished 1st in Color Guard 6 times (60%)

The Blue Devils are 0.4 points away from having won three championships in a row, and they've won exactly 1 musical sub-caption at Finals in the past three seasons (they've taken 8 of 9 visual sub-captions). At this point in DCI's evolution, uniform design matters more than ever.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

34 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

It’s all about the visual. The music is only the background for the characters and stage performers to tell the story and bring the production to life. 

If true, then why does DCI need Music Majors then, when its Drama/ Dance/ Art Majors that'll maximize the most points for scores/ placements ? And how many universities offer 4 year degrees, post graduate degrees in non music.... " Color Guard ", anyway ?.  it is sort of odd what the Universities value, and what DCI modern day scoring on the judging sheets tends to reward. But... I'm only along for the ride, and nobody asked any of us  what the DCI Judging system tends to reward these days now.... haha!

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

If true, then why does DCI need Music Majors, when its Drama/ Dance/ Art Majors that'll nmaximize the most points for scores/ placements ? And how many universities offer 4 year degrees, post graduate degrees in non music.... " Color Guard " ?.  it is sort of odd what the Universities value, and what DCI modern day scoring on the judging sheets tends to reward. But... I'm only along for the ride, and nobody asked any of us  what the DCI Judging system tends to reward these days now.... lol!

By Color Guard do you mean the dance and equipment ensemble? No one wants to perform with music that sounds like a donkey no more than to watch a musical production with a terrible orchestra. The production is what people come to see. 

• Like 2

It seems also that the group to win visual is usually BD. They also tend to win multiple captions like GE when they do win visual and ultimately the championship as well. The one exception is Bluecoats in 2016 when they only won GE, but it is normal to win multiple captions. Crown usually falters in percussion while they place first in brass, which affects their overall music caption placement and overall placement. I'm not saying that visual is or isn't the most important, but the group that wins the championship isn't winning just visual. They are consistently towards the top by all judges and don't have captions in 5th or 6th. And frankly the groups like crown that can win brass or SCV with percussion are often not as high consistently in the music caption as often BD is.

Edited by kinetic inferno11

4 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

By Color Guard do you mean the dance and equipment ensemble?  

Yes. Thats the one. DCI calls it " Guard " however. So I use the nomenclature that is utilized by DCI itself.  Its what they currently call this particular  section on the current DCI scoring sheets too, Poppycock.

Are the judges getting a uniform change as well to express their unique 2018 contribution to the activity or will it be same old, same old?  

If so, will it be a Caesar Miller design, by Stan Berry, De Moolah, or Fruepooh?? Will we notice them or will they blend in so as not to distract?  Will DiCarlo and crew get unis? costumes?  What about Potter, Crocker, and Blair?  C'mon, it's 2018 and are they still looking like they did in 1972?  Get with the trends; embrace the change.

20 minutes ago, kinetic inferno11 said:

It seems also that the group to win visual is usually BD. They also tend to win multiple captions like GE when they do win visual and ultimately the championship as well. The one exception is Bluecoats in 2016 when they only won GE, but it is normal to win multiple captions. Crown usually falters in percussion while they place first in brass, which affects their overall music caption placement and overall placement. I'm not saying that visual is or isn't the most important, but the group that wins the championship isn't winning just visual. They are consistently towards the top by all judges and don't have captions in 5th or 6th. And frankly the groups like crown that can win brass or SCV with percussion are often not as high consistently in the music caption as often BD is.

Its quite amazing to me the Corps of late ( last decade of so ) that win the Sanford ( Drums ) and the Ott ( Bugles ) awards, that do not wind up winning the DCI Titles in the years these awards were won by these Corps. A Corps can win a DCI Title finishing ( for example ) 6th in Drums, but if you don't medal in Guard/ GE Visual, forget about it.' Not going to happen. I'm pretty sure Carolina Crown would have more than just 1 DCI Title, if they were winning the Ott awards in early decades, instead of winning them in recent modern day DCI  years of today. The Blue Devils know whats most rewarded on todays judging sheets and do a superior job in putting together a winning show for these modern day judging sheets. ' Have to top our hats to them with this, imo

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Daave said:

Yeah, the Androgynous Cowboy Stripper with a maternity bib and Capt'n Crunch epaulets look is no more.  Could I get an Amen!!

Yep, I'm in need of some Trooper IV