2018 Uniforms!

No doubt, the evolution of performance wear is on full display this season. Some of it is pretty shocking to these old eyes. But, as the cameras turned around during last night's broadcast, I saw thousands of young, happy faces cheering for their favorite moments. Their satisfaction with today's product was universal, it seemed. Just what's needed into the future . . . wherever that takes DCI.

Once again, for those used to something older and much different, I encourage getting a subscription to FLO. There's a completely different look and feel to these productions when enjoyed this way. Some things you could never get sitting in any single bleacher seat. Plus, with a good audio system, headphones, etc., I can still bring all the "heat" my ears desire. For me, today's performance wear is very effective with multi-camera. Try it!

By the way, the "restroom" here is nearby and very clean. Even the food and drink is fabulous!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Their satisfaction with today's product was universal, it seemed. Just what's needed into the future . . . wherever that takes DCI.

Good points Fred - the fans of today take in the activity without much knowledge of the earlier days of the art form -- 

art is a reflection of the culture's philosophy - we accept the art around us because it is the result of where we are at a culture, a reflection of what our culture values/esteems -

How are marching arts reflecting attitudes in our current culture?

• disposable throw away consumer culture
  • no regard for history, me centric, narcisism, we are each special individuals (as opposed to we are a part of a larger and powerful whole) 
  • rely on tech
  • unwillingness to play on the same playing field - unequal "competition"
  • prohibitive cost of entry into the activity - only kids from upper middle class can afford to participate at the elite levels (top 12)
  • our mainstream media ignores the activity, choosing to broadcast things like home flippers or competitive corn hole

how else is the current state of the art a reflection of our society?

• Like 2

If there are people who claim to be drum corps fans choose not to attend because what a corps wears... well, I question how sincere their love of drum corps is/was to begin with. 

Things change, times change.

The quality of today's drum corps is light years ahead of corps even 15 years ago.  There are corps that are SO GOOD this year that won't even make finals, but that same show would be a top 6 finisher 20 years ago.   

Almost EVERY thing you complain about happening to drum corps has happened to every youth activity.  Do you think football is the same as it was 20 years ago?  Cheerleading?  Boy Scouts? Church youth groups? Soccer? Lacrosse? (How many folks even knew what Lacrosse was 20 years ago)?

Have you been any drum corps rehearsals lately?  If not, do it.  I have never felt better about the future of society than watching young people meet the challenging demands that modern day drum corps throws at them.  

The glass isn't half empty.  It's so full, it's running over.    

• Like 7

That's the essence of where we are, tedrick. As a retired public school teacher I can add this

shorter attention span. Is it even advisable to keep any one uniform design for more than one season? Things get boring more quickly these days among today's youth. They're conditioned to push remote control buttons in a never-ending quest to find something "more," no matter how different that might be. Change stimulates them, not routine.

I'm truly OK with today's corps. This is their world.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tedrick said:

Good points Fred - the fans of today take in the activity without much knowledge of the earlier days of the art form -- 

art is a reflection of the culture's philosophy - we accept the art around us because it is the result of where we are at a culture, a reflection of what our culture values/esteems -

How are marching arts reflecting attitudes in our current culture?

• disposable throw away consumer culture
  • no regard for history, me centric, narcisism, we are each special individuals (as opposed to we are a part of a larger and powerful whole) 
  • rely on tech
  • unwillingness to play on the same playing field - unequal "competition"
  • prohibitive cost of entry into the activity - only kids from upper middle class can afford to participate at the elite levels (top 12)
  • our mainstream media ignores the activity, choosing to broadcast things like home flippers or competitive corn hole

how else is the current state of the art a reflection of our society?

Warning everybody:  danger up ahead... proceed  further on this thread topic now with caution.

Image result for thread derail ahead... meme

Edited by BRASSO
  • Haha 1

Oregon Crusaders:

(Skip to 1:04 for the complete set of uniforms)

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Oregon Crusaders:

(Skip to 1:04 for the complete set of uniforms)

Can’t wait to see this tonight on the field.  Amazing blend of both uniform worlds.  This show is gonna be a killer.