2018 Uniforms!

9 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

No doubt, the evolution of performance wear is on full display this season. Some of it is pretty shocking to these old eyes. But, as the cameras turned around during last night's broadcast, I saw thousands of young, happy faces cheering for their favorite moments. Their satisfaction with today's product was universal, it seemed. Just what's needed into the future . . . wherever that takes DCI.

Once again, for those used to something older and much different, I encourage getting a subscription to FLO. There's a completely different look and feel to these productions when enjoyed this way. Some things you could never get sitting in any single bleacher seat. Plus, with a good audio system, headphones, etc., I can still bring all the "heat" my ears desire. For me, today's performance wear is very effective with multi-camera. Try it!

By the way, the "restroom" here is nearby and very clean. Even the food and drink is fabulous!

I'm trying to be open and optimistic; it is quite difficult at times.

On 6/30/2018 at 10:36 AM, Fred Windish said:

No doubt, the evolution of performance wear is on full display this season. Some of it is pretty shocking to these old eyes. But, as the cameras turned around during last night's broadcast, I saw thousands of young, happy faces cheering for their favorite moments. Their satisfaction with today's product was universal, it seemed. Just what's needed into the future . . . wherever that takes DCI.

Once again, for those used to something older and much different, I encourage getting a subscription to FLO. There's a completely different look and feel to these productions when enjoyed this way. Some things you could never get sitting in any single bleacher seat. Plus, with a good audio system, headphones, etc., I can still bring all the "heat" my ears desire. For me, today's performance wear is very effective with multi-camera. Try it!

By the way, the "restroom" here is nearby and very clean. Even the food and drink is fabulous!

The Muncie show follows a couple of days (or a week?) of band camps on campus for high school kids. I think Crown spent a couple of days "in residence" working with those band kids. And then at the show, the stands are filled with them.

They loved everything. They cheered loudly for the Scouts as they entered the field. I'm guessing most of them were not thinking about Scouts in 75 and 88 and all of that storied history. They just liked the costumes and the show the Scouts performed. I doubt they obsessed over hats or no hats. 

I obsessed a bit. Loved the Colts for their traditional look. But I wondered that those kids - surely some future MMs - are way beyond being concerned with the things I see us discussing here on DCP.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

They cheered loudly for the Scouts as they entered the field. I'm guessing most of them were not thinking about Scouts in 75 and 88 and all of that storied history. They just liked the costumes and the show the Scouts performed. I doubt they obsessed over hats or no hats. 

Or they recognized the hard work and effort put into each production, and in turn respected each corps to cheer loudly. Considering most band kids are taught to clap for every program at a competition. Ya know, difference in perspective I guess. Sometimes you just have to let go and face facts that these kids aren't going to be interested in 75 or 88 or 95, etc. Times change with each generation. The kids in Muncie were probably doing exactly what they were taught to do, respect.

• Like 5

I bet if the Scouts played it traditional the kids would have still went bonkers.  If they would have played one of their classics, say '92 show, in their traditional uniform and melted their faces and did it old school- marched on/off field, trooped the stands to a street beat/etc, the kids would love it.  Scouts swagger will never go out of style.  I doubt anyone would prefer costumes and props.  I know my teenage band kids would rather see power and swagger and Scouts were the epitome of it, hope they get it back.

Edited by Guitar1974
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Guitar1974 said:

I bet if the Scouts played it traditional the kids would have still went bonkers.  If they would have played one of their classics, say '92 show, in their traditional uniform and melted their faces and did it old school- marched on/off field, trooped the stands to a street beat/etc, the kids would love it.  Scouts swagger will never go out of style.  I doubt anyone would prefer costumes and props.  I know my teenage band kids would rather see power and swagger and Scouts were the epitome of it, hope they get it back.

So, is that why they changed their style to stay relevant? Lol. Swagger would have to go to the Cavaliers. Sorry.

7 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

So, is that why they changed their style to stay relevant? Lol. Swagger would have to go to the Cavaliers. Sorry.

Agree about Cavies swagger, Scouts had it, too, but it has been lost amidst their quest to "stay relevant" and loosing their identity.  Speaking to the topic of uniforms, Cavies have still retained many of the elements in their look that keep their identity- the headgear, etc.  Still have the swashbuckling style.  Scouts have went the figure skating costume route and it seems more are against it then for it. 

1 hour ago, copyright said:

So headgear and a collar determine 'swagger'?

No, but they convey an attitude.  The swagger comes from the overall vibe.   I get what you are saying- hell, Prince had more swagger than anyone whilst wearing high heels and purple leather stretch pants haha... My point is the muscular/angular look of the classic Scouts uniform lent to their vibe of power and machismo, the current costumes don't.  

Edited by Guitar1974
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Guitar1974 said:

No, but they convey an attitude.  The swagger comes from the overall vibe.   I get what you are saying- hell, Prince had more swagger than anyone whilst wearing high heels and purple leather stretch pants haha... My point is the muscular/angular look of the classic Scouts uniform lent to their vibe of power and machismo, the current costumes don't.  

Even if they did still have those uniforms, that swagger would be lost once they go coed in my opinion. Few women can pull off swagger. Salt n' Pepa, Mary J. Blige, and Missy Elliot are really the only ones to pull it off well in my opinion. Lmao.