2018 Uniforms!

Regarding Phantom's uniforms... maybe it seems too obvious, but I immediately assumed the helmets will only be worn for part of the show. At some point the helmets come off and the hoods go up. And maybe the hoods go down again for the end of the show? The hatless look is really spreading in DCI, and it does offer the musicians a lot more visual engagement with the audience.

I could be wrong, though. There is a first time for everything. :whistle:

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

I was thinking they either got the idea by reading “The Preppy Handbook” or spent time in Brooks Brothers. 

After seeing some of these costumes, perhaps it’s one reason why many of these organizations are trying to fill holes.

“You want me to wear that! Nah! I’ll pass.” 

Edited by Jim Schehr
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

After seeing some of these costumes, perhaps it’s one reason why many of these organizations are trying to fill holes.

“You want me to wear that! Nah! I’ll pass.” 

You couldn’t be more out of touch.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, littlejaw said:

You couldn’t be more out of touch.

The costumes are fine. I wore one when I marched junior Kilties in the early 70’s. There were people who wouldn’t join because they had to wear a kilt.  

Costumes are not new. Mariners, Kilties, Troopers, Madison Scouts, and  27th Lancers to name a few wore costumes closely related to their names. 

For some reason the productions today require a costume to support the theme. Maybe it’s a carry over from WGI. 

IMO it’s a monkey see monkey do.  I’m not sure it’s necessary. But their controllers see it differently. 

Edited by Jim Schehr
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, tedrick said:

they are no longer uniforms - they are costumns

I think they may have always been costumes. Some may have been an imitation of military " Uniforms " or satin blouses with dickies, hats with feathers, ..yeah may have always been costumes.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Jim Schehr said:

The costumes are fine. I wore one when I marched junior Kilties in the early 70’s. There were people who wouldn’t join because they had to wear a kilt.  

Costumes are not new. Mariners, Kilties, Troopers, Madison Scouts, and  27th Lancers to name a few wore costumes closely related to their names. 

For some reason the productions today require a costume to support the theme. Maybe it’s a carry over from WGI. 

IMO it’s a monkey see monkey do.  I’m not sure it’s necessary. But their controllers see it differently. 

I think you’re right.  What American in any period of time walked around in a kilt in every day life?.. A lot of corps had a very informal way of uniform or what could be thought of as a costume.  Basically any “uniform” that did exist throughout time was in some way inspired from the military-esque approach from the true OLD school culture of what drum corps really was. I really think in order for a successful continuation of what we’ve known as drum corps, we have to let it evolve... why do we not all rave about opera or salons anymore? Cultural dynamics change, and what you’re seeing is the future. 

• Thanks 1

The corps can wear whatever they want to wear. If they feel a certain look will help them sell their product, then have at it.  If the idea backfires, then it's back to the drawing board, right?

I like some of the new looks, don't care as much for a few others... but bottom line, it has zero effect on my life whatsoever. LOL

• Like 2

On 6/3/2018 at 12:58 PM, DCIat14 said:

Didn't see this thread started, so figured I'd start one :)  Phantom Regiment released their uniform design today and as we know, Cadets released theirs months ago (will those change?).  

Phantom Regiment 2018 Uniform Reveal

I don't like it. Looks like court jesters to me. 

• Like 2