2018 Uniforms!

1 hour ago, BlueStainGlass said:

They all wear the same thing.  

No they don't. Guard attire is always different than the Corps proper attire.  And each Corps attire is quite different than each other Corps attire. Theres actually never been a DCI time when we can say " they all wear the same thing "

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Costiforms.

UniUmes? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

No they don't. Guard attire is always different than the Corps proper attire.  And each Corps attire is quite different than each other Corps attire. Theres actually never been a DCI time when we can say " they all wear the same thing "

Brasso, mon cheri, I think you missed BlueStain's point. S/he is merely saying that in a particular corps that wears "costumes," they all wear the SAME costume, hence they have a look that is uniform. 

I believe it was Nietzsche who made the same philosophical argument. Or was it Wittgenstein? 

29 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

this is where the apostrophe is appropriate: "Each corps' attire is quite different from each other corps' attire."

Some corps like Cadets '86 & "88 had guard and music ensemble in the same fashion. Again generalizations have exceptions for accuracy.

08_25_2011_cadets_colorguard.jpg

Edited by xandandl

19 minutes ago, quietcity said:

Brasso, mon cheri, I think you missed BlueStain's point. S/he is merely saying that in a particular corps that wears "costumes," they all wear the SAME costume, hence they have a look that is uniform. 

as in the case of today's Regiment's outfits, there are a variety of outfits worn by the guard but all the same color;  this makes these costumes look uniform while really being quite different and distinct from each other. cf the photo.

PR18_Uniforms_Group

Cadets'guards in the late 80's and then in the 90's would do this as well by wearing different hues for each guard member, some even in different styles of the dress or shirt.

Image result for Cadets color guard, 1990 

Edited by xandandl

14 minutes ago, quietcity said:

I believe it was Nietzsche who made the same philosophical argument. Or was it Wittgenstein? 

But they don't wear the same attire. Thus, they really don't look " uniform ". Only the military musical groups have " uniforms" that are uniform. The phrase ... " uniform "...is really a hold over from the same early military lineage that retains  the "  Bugle " in Drum & Bugle Corps. But... I don't care really what phrase is used. If I can get used to musical units with concert french horns, trombones, etc and the like referring to themselves as " Drum & Bugle Corps", I'm pretty sure I can get used to whatever phrase people want to use for the attire these units are wearing. " costumes ".. or " uniforms "... its all the same to me.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Then why not call them uniform costume's?

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Costiforms.

21 minutes ago, quietcity said:

UniUmes? 

UNISTUMES!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

UNISTUMES!

UNICORNS!  There, it is settled. 

Edited by quietcity
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, xandandl said:

this is where the apostrophe is appropriate: "Each corps' attire is quite different from each other corps' attire."

Some corps like Cadets '86 & "88 had guard and music ensemble in the same fashion. Again generalizations have exceptions for accuracy.

08_25_2011_cadets_colorguard.jpg

Close. However, 86/88 Cadets proper wore shakos all the same,, including the same colors,  but the Guard wore no headgear of any kind... at all... and the DM's attire was not " uniform " with the rest of the Corps either... but look, I see no reason to get lost in the weeds here in the terminology of " costumes " or " uniforms ".. As I said, these units can call themselves whatever they want and whatever they wear for attire, they can call it anything they wish too as well. Its all fine as far as I'm concerned anyway. like everybody else, I'll either like what they have on, or not like what they have on.

Edited by BRASSO