I am bummed out -- Son is not marching this year.

After 2 years of marching, my son decided not to march this year a day before move ins.  Already had my trip planned out this summer to hit 5 shows and 4th of July parade.  Still going to sign up for Flo marching and watch remotely and probably attend one show in person.  I have to live vicariously through the other parents this year.  My son is till going through withdraws as well.  

• Sad 2

19 minutes ago, Drumcorpdad62 said:

After 2 years of marching, my son decided not to march this year a day before move ins.  Already had my trip planned out this summer to hit 5 shows and 4th of July parade.  Still going to sign up for Flo marching and watch remotely and probably attend one show in person.  I have to live vicariously through the other parents this year.  My son is till going through withdraws as well.  

I’ve been living vicariously through other parents since 2008.  It’s tough to look down there and not see your kid.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Drumcorpdad62 said:

Yeah, I too decided to not march my last two years, after marching 6. I was burnt out. Usually, I am in tears when I see a first show with regret, but there were good things that came out of not marching too. I had two really fun summers not working my butt off. I think when you're 20 or 21 it seems like you have all the time in the world and you don't realize that no, you don't. I don't know what I would do if God said, "we can go back in time and undo it." I just don't know.

8 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Yeah, I too decided to not march my last two years, after marching 6. I was burnt out. Usually, I am in tears when I see a first show with regret, but there were good things that came out of not marching too. I had two really fun summers not working my butt off. I think when you're 20 or 21 it seems like you have all the time in the world and you don't realize that no, you don't. I don't know what I would do if God said, "we can go back in time and undo it." I just don't know.

I decided not to march my last two after marching 4 years. I was burnt out as well, and after 2000, there was really no point anymore. I didn't think it could get any better than THAT.

Just now, 2000Cadet said:

I decided not to march my last two after marching 4 years. I was burnt out as well, and after 2000, there was really no point anymore. I didn't think it could get any better than THAT.

Yeah, probably not, but the 2001 Cadets show sure was fun. Do you regret it? I do during the first week of the season, but then not so much, then at finals week. It is just so tough in between.

Just now, queenanne_1536 said:

Yeah, probably not, but the 2001 Cadets show sure was fun. Do you regret it? I do during the first week of the season, but then not so much, then at finals week. It is just so tough in between.

The first two years after, I had withdrawals. However, I didn't start to regret it until 2005.

38 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

29 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Totally understand being burnt out and deciding not to march. But did either of you decide a day before move-in, as the OP said his son did?

2 minutes ago, Barneveld said:

Totally understand being burnt out and deciding not to march. But did either of you decide a day before move-in, as the OP said his son did?

I almost did in 2000 (at that time early in the season, I didn't think the show was really worth being on the field, I mean come on. DISNEY?!?!?!).

My son is in his 5th year now with 4 to go, and hasn’t shown any signs of slowing down yet. However, I have cautioned him not to let DC take over his life at the expense of school. I discussed this with him just last weekend before he flew off to Santa Clara for move-ins; he was shocked when I told him that in retrospect I wish I hadn’t marched my last year at all as it set my schooling back 12 months. Given that I did it anyway I should have just marched somewhere else, and not necessarily the Top 2 corps I was in. Ah well!  8-D

Edited by TRacer
  • Like 2