I am bummed out -- Son is not marching this year.

Graduated college in December and choice was do (Sr) corps one last summer or use that summer to prepare for last semester and scout the job situation. Plus would have been my 6th season and a bit numb to it all. Did corps that summer but wonder if my life would have been different if I had not. Think my nerves would have been better as was unable to make practices due to distance. 6 of one, half dozen of other. 

25 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

I almost did in 2000 (at that time early in the season, I didn't think the show was really worth being on the field, I mean come on. DISNEY?!?!?!).

Hey, that show shaped up to be one of my favorites, and then I ended up getting to march the closer in high school. Lol. LOVE.:89_clap: THAT.:89_clap: SHOW.:89_clap:

1 minute ago, Incognito365 said:

Hey, that show shaped up to be one of my favorites, and then I ended up getting to march the closer in high school. Lol. LOVE.:89_clap: THAT.:89_clap: SHOW.:89_clap:

I remember our first show in Bloomington, ID when the crowd was going bonkers before we even finished the opener, I was sitting there thinking what the heck were they even going crazy about. It didn't hit me until San Antonio how special that show was.

Sorry to the OP for going off-topic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brian Tuma said:

Didn’t you start the topic of your son wanting to march a top 4 corps? IMO not marching this summer isn’t going to help. 

Yes, that was what he wanted when he went off to college, but Freshman year in a Music Ed program really ground him down.  He wasn't ready for the  6 to 8 hours of practice every day for his major.  I really wanted him to march since he committed, but in the end it was his decision.  I agree with you on marching a top 4 corp, this won't help him.

2 minutes ago, Drumcorpdad62 said:

Yes, that was what he wanted when he went off to college, but Freshman year in a Music Ed program really ground him down.  He wasn't ready for the  6 to 8 hours of practice every day for his major.  I really wanted him to march since he committed, but in the end it was his decision.  I agree with you on marching a top 4 corp, this won't help him.

One of the reasons I majored in Information Technology  and not Music...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

I decided not to march my last two after marching 4 years. I was burnt out as well, and after 2000, there was really no point anymore. I didn't think it could get any better than THAT.

Oh, it could have, but you'd have had to start wearing green in 2001. :27_sunglasses:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I didn’t march my ageout year.  I regretted that so I encouraged my son to march his ageout.  He did but I think he was really burned out because he hasn’t been to a drum corps show since.  And it’s been 11 years. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Barneveld said:

Totally understand being burnt out and deciding not to march. But did either of you decide a day before move-in, as the OP said his son did?

No, but I did the day before the first camp. I had to fight my parents on it. I wonder where the OPs son would have marched.