I am bummed out -- Son is not marching this year.

3 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

One of the reasons I majored in Information Technology  and not Music...

Same here.... Or as a guy I marched with in college and corps said "I like music too much to major in it and study every bit of it." Criminology major IIRC 

1 hour ago, mfrontz said:

Hope your son is okay and the summer is what he needs. 

I told him it was a learning experience.  Either way he was going to be disappointed.  If he didn't march, then if his corps did well then he was going to regret it. If he did march, then he was missing out on work, friends, and family.  He hasn't had a summer home since he was a sophomore and he wanted to experience the feeling of earning money and taking summer classes.  He has a good attitude about it, but I know he misses marching since it is his family

The "why" of why your son is not marching and why he made the decision so late would be the key answer(s) to discover.

Perhaps those answers are too personal to be shared in a public forum. If the "where" is part of the "why" answer(s) perhaps that needs to be discussed beyond yourselves.

The "what" of your relationship with him, your expectations and disappointments, your support for him in light of the decision is all good fodder for reflection on this eve of Father's Day. You would not have that to share with him if he were on tour, would you?

15 minutes ago, xandandl said:

The "why" of why your son is not marching and why he made the decision so late would be the key answer(s) to discover.

Perhaps those answers are too personal to be shared in a public forum. If the "where" is part of the "why" answer(s) perhaps that needs to be discussed beyond yourselves.

The "what" of your relationship with him, your expectations and disappointments, your support for him in light of the decision is all good fodder for reflection on this eve of Father's Day. You would not have that to share with him if he were on tour, would you?

The "where" wasn't an issue.  He loves his corps and they gave him a chance 3 years ago which he is very grateful for.  The "why" so late is something we discussed at length, all are too personal to share, but it did involve financial, personal, and educational commitments.  I told him I support him either way, and this will be a great learning experience for him on making tough life decisions.  I know that at his age I never had to make a tough decision like this, and it will help make him a more mature person, certainly he is more mature then I was at his age.

• Like 1

Just now, Drumcorpdad62 said:

The "where" wasn't an issue.  He loves his corps and they gave him a chance 3 years ago which he is very grateful for.  The "why" so late is something we discussed at length, all are too personal to share, but it did involve financial, personal, and educational commitments.  I told him I support him either way, and this will be a great learning experience for him on making tough life decisions.  I know that at his age I never had to make a tough decision like this, and it will help make him a more mature person, certainly he is more mature then I was at his age.

Great approach, phenomenal support. Enjoy your Father's Day with him.

5 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

One of the reasons I majored in Information Technology  and not Music...

Yep -- Really didn't want to practice.  Still don't. But music keeps me sane when the s/w doesn't cooperate.

My son took the summer (2012) off from Crown to get ahead on his studies -- music, of course. We tried to get him to march that year, but his mind was made up and he did graduate early.  Glad he came back for his age-out in 2013!  

7 hours ago, Drumcorpdad62 said:

After 2 years of marching, my son decided not to march this year a day before move ins.  Already had my trip planned out this summer to hit 5 shows and 4th of July parade.  Still going to sign up for Flo marching and watch remotely and probably attend one show in person.  I have to live vicariously through the other parents this year.  My son is till going through withdraws as well.  

If this helps, A lot of folks on here think I marched with The Cavaliers, but I actually never did... they are a corps that I have always felt like I belonged with (and that when I saw them in 2004 on ESPN it blew my mind, as a middle schooler). I just hope that he hasn't given up on what amazing and beautiful this community is... :) what ever corps he is/was apart of... I hope he understands how great marching is

6 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I didn’t march my ageout year.  I regretted that so I encouraged my son to march his ageout.  He did but I think he was really burned out because he hasn’t been to a drum corps show since.  And it’s been 11 years. 

Interesting. I was in a Boston area CYO band and planned on making the switch to drum corps, but my means of transportation fell through: I didn’t have a car and the driver’s father was transferred for work reasons to another part of the country, and public transportation would not have been an option. I was pretty disappointed, but a family emergency would have required me to leave during the season and there was the reality that college does not pay for itself, so subsequent years I would not have been able to march either.

What I did find interesting. Thanks to Drum Corps World and Drum Corps News, and talking to folks at the shows I did attend, I knew more about scores, repertoires, and the season than kids who marched, kind of like the kid who loves baseball and knows the stats and history. Of all those who I knew who did march, I’m the only one who still follows drum corps.

Looking back, there are times I wish I had marched. I would love to have shared stories about bus mishaps, bad food, and the excitement of competition. I run into people who marched with the corps I had hoped to join (Holy Family Defenders) and they seem like a great group to have spent a summer with, but I also learned perseverance and the meaning of family after the emergency. My father had a stroke and had to learn to walk again, and with Father’s Day upon us, I’m very glad I was able to spend the time with him I did, and working to pay college tuition taught life lessons too.

Last thing: I spoke with a man yesterday. Marched with St. Mary’s Cardinals and donates to the Alumni Association to help with the scholarships they provide, donates to Boston Crusaders to help defray the costs of marching, and hasn’t been to a show since he aged out.  He’s going to his first show in forty years on July 2nd. Lots of age outs never attend shows after they march.

• Like 2

i teach 200 kids per year

maybe 5 of those could ever make it through a dci season with any corps

your kid has already done that, and is making the decision he thinks is best for him. amazing to see you supporting him!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

and after 2000, there was really no point anymore. I didn't think it could get any better than THAT.

That's basically what Mike Eruzione said after the 80 Olympics about not entering the NHL draft.

• Like 1