Rt 15 traffic alerts

If you are headed north to Milton this weekend or Williamsport, please be aware that there are going to be several forms of lane restrictions on Rt 15 above Shamokin Dam. Due to the seemingly never ending construction on the Northern 15 bypass, not only will 15 have issues, but if you try to cross the river at Shamokin Dam into Northumberland/Sunbury, there's issues on 147 on the other side due to the same construction project.

Basically, the plan is by 2024, 15 will bypass the Shamokin Dam congestion nightmare, cross the river below Lewisburg, hook onto 147/whatever number that turns into, then into Williamsport. The first phase is from 15 across to 147 will be done in 2/3 years, total project by 2022 at the earliest

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

If you are headed north to Milton this weekend or Williamsport, please be aware that there are going to be several forms of lane restrictions on Rt 15 above Shamokin Dam. Due to the seemingly never ending construction on the Northern 15 bypass, not only will 15 have issues, but if you try to cross the river at Shamokin Dam into Northumberland/Sunbury, there's issues on 147 on the other side due to the same construction project.

Basically, the plan is by 2024, 15 will bypass the Shamokin Dam congestion nightmare, cross the river below Lewisburg, hook onto 147/whatever number that turns into, then into Williamsport. The first phase is from 15 across to 147 will be done in 2/3 years, total project by 2022 at the earliest

Thanks for the heads up.

Going with Brenda to the Milton show... Cabs Alumni are there and we're taking a mini-break before the show day. We'll be heading over from Knoebels, so we'll do our best to avoid that Shamokin area.  Google Maps is our friend.  LOL.

2 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Thanks for the heads up.

Going with Brenda to the Milton show... Cabs Alumni are there and we're taking a mini-break before the show day. We'll be heading over from Knoebels, so we'll do our best to avoid that Shamokin area.  Google Maps is our friend.  LOL.

Shamokin itself is good. Shamokin Dam not so much up thru Lewisburg. 

yes Google Maps will be your friend. Expect to see a lot of PA back roads!

11 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Shamokin itself is good. Shamokin Dam not so much up thru Lewisburg. 

yes Google Maps will be your friend. Expect to see a lot of PA back roads!

I keep forgetting that there is a Shamokin and a Shamokin Dam. LOL.

Looks like we can swing north from Knoebels to 45, and into Lewisburg. Our hotel is there, a short trip from Milton. 

Barbara and I used to hit Knoebels for a few hours on our way to Scranton DCA weekends.  Nice ride from there to I-80 on the back roads.

Edited by Fran Haring

1 hour ago, BigW said:

I'll be headed there. Looks like I'll be setting the transmission on Sport and taking some scenic roads on the East shore... :satisfied:

My transmission is always on sport - its a 6 spd manual.:thumbs-up:

18 minutes ago, Bob P. said:

My transmission is always on sport - its a 6 spd manual.:thumbs-up:

Nice- but for around here... shifting's awful. I had a shifter from about 1987 to 2008ish and because of Harrisburg rush hours I'd never go back. The Passat will let me do manual sequential stuff but I've found sport mode is quicker and smarter than I am.

From the Harrisburg area, depending on where one is.... Taking PA 147 up is the answer, or in my case, 225 over Peters Mountain to 147.

Going home, I'll take 11/15, more places to stop and snack.

On 6/18/2018 at 12:29 PM, Jeff Ream said:

We’re driving to Williamsport for DCA.  Is this something that’s going to affect us coming from the west on I-80?  Just wondering because I’m pretty ignorant about this area. 

"Seemingly" never ending construction..... Lol

147 sounds like a nice drive and IIRC close to where my sister in law teaches in Halifax.

You all enjoy, still adjusting and debating a drive to Williesport for part of Labor Day but we shall see.

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

We’re driving to Williamsport for DCA.  Is this something that’s going to affect us coming from the west on I-80?  Just wondering because I’m pretty ignorant about this area. 

If you're coming across on I-80 and then north on Rte. 15 to Williamsport,  you'll be well north of the Shamokin Dam traffic situation. 

OK... "situation" meaning "hot mess."  LOL

• Like 1