Cavalier's "Closing" Ability

So...I'm sure everyone that's ever read any of my posts knows I'm a Cavalier parent, and a total homer at that. So you always have to read anything I write through that prism. 

I'm having fun watching the "prediction" threads because of the wild variability I see people predicting for the Cavaliers in 2018. Seen as high as 2nd, and as low as 7th. Which brought a question to my mind. 

In 2016, the Cavaliers entered Finals Week pretty much a consensus 6th place, and ran down and passed the Cadets to finish 5th. 
In 2017, the Cavaliers entered Finals Week pretty much a consensus 5th place, and ran down and passed the Bluecoats to finish 4th on the last night of the season. 

Again...knowing my "prism", do you think the Cavaliers have a certain "reputation" for maxing out their score/placement at this point, or were those two seasons generally considered anomalies? 

I think  no matter what position the Cavaliers are in come early August, if I was sitting a half point ahead of them, I'd probably be aware of their " closing ability".

Can you tell I'm just ready to watch the show on Thursday? :-) This is a "stretch" to even be a topic. But I'm not getting any work done anyway. 

• Like 8

It's fun to think about it like this @PopcornEater1963. And both recent years, I appreciate The Cavaliers giving us some drama on Saturday night.

At this point, I don't take predictions as anything but wishful thinking, a sort of fantasy DCI that's entertaining. Seems to me there are too many important variables that make up the whole show package to make predictions anything else.

But then also: Since there are a lot of predictions, someone or few will be reasonably accurate, and that makes the exercise look legit.

Back to the fun: Yes, I'm willing to believe The Cavaliers have some magic on finals night and know how to use it to their advantage. If so, I'm hoping they go into it in 2nd.

• Like 5

Didn't the corps they pass last season have the same "ability" too? Not saying the Cavs didn't bring it, but I think situations like these are more about the corps they pass peaking than anything else. Regardless, Cavs will do very well this season and contend for a medal.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Brass Lover said:

Didn't the corps they pass last season have the same "ability" too? Not saying the Cavs didn't bring it, but I think situations like these are more about the corps they pass peaking than anything else. Regardless, Cavs will do very well this season and contend for a medal.

The Corps they passed were extremely talented... both in 16 and 17. Just interesting that Cavs looked them up in the last 2 days of the season both years. 

Like I said in OP, I’m pretty much passing time til I get on a plane Thursday morning.  :-)

1 hour ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

So...I'm sure everyone that's ever read any of my posts knows I'm a Cavalier parent, and a total homer at that. So you always have to read anything I write through that prism. 

I'm having fun watching the "prediction" threads because of the wild variability I see people predicting for the Cavaliers in 2018. Seen as high as 2nd, and as low as 7th. Which brought a question to my mind. 

In 2016, the Cavaliers entered Finals Week pretty much a consensus 6th place, and ran down and passed the Cadets to finish 5th. 
In 2017, the Cavaliers entered Finals Week pretty much a consensus 5th place, and ran down and passed the Bluecoats to finish 4th on the last night of the season. 

Again...knowing my "prism", do you think the Cavaliers have a certain "reputation" for maxing out their score/placement at this point, or were those two seasons generally considered anomalies? 

I think  no matter what position the Cavaliers are in come early August, if I was sitting a half point ahead of them, I'd probably be aware of their " closing ability".

Can you tell I'm just ready to watch the show on Thursday? :-) This is a "stretch" to even be a topic. But I'm not getting any work done anyway. 

I absolutely don't think it's an anomoaly at all. However, I think a big part of that was due to the design issues of 2016 Cadets and 2017 Bluecoats. I think it would A LOT harder to do that to BD or SCV, assuming their show designs are on par with last year's come finals. The Cavaliers had great show designs in 2016 and 2017. Will 2018 measure up? I'm not so sure. It's hard to be at this point in the season. You could assume so, but we shall see. Personally, I think last year's top 6 will remain in tact and pull even farther head of the 7th place corps than last year. 

Just now, PopcornEater1963 said:

The Corps they passed were extremely talented... both in 16 and 17. Just interesting that Cavs looked them up in the last 2 days of the season both years. 

Like I said in OP, I’m pretty much passing time til I get on a plane Thursday morning.  :-)

Cavaliers actually beat Cadets at Allentown in 2016 (August 5th). Cadet did, however, beat them at quarterfinals.

2 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I absolutely don't think it's an anomoaly at all. However, I think a big part of that was due to the design issues of 2016 Cadets and 2017 Bluecoats. I think it would A LOT harder to do that to BD or SCV, assuming their show designs are on par with last year's come finals. The Cavaliers had great show designs in 2016 and 2017. Will 2018 measure up? I'm not so sure. It's hard to be at this point in the season. You could assume so, but we shall see. Personally, I think last year's top 6 will remain in tact and pull even farther head of the 7th place corps than last year. 

My nick is Popcorn Eater for a reason. 

I personally see more potential in 2018 than I did last year’s trip to Mars. But no one has ever mistaken me for a judge. 

• Like 2