Cavalier's "Closing" Ability

Yah. I'd chalk up the wins between the withdraw and finals to Phantom and Madison putting in new stuff that wasn't clean yet while Cavies were putting out what they had.  Come finals, Phantom and Madison had some shiny new things cleaned up and Cavies had...what they had and were beat tired touring with the flu for what two weeks?

29 minutes ago, PRphan72 said:

While I wouldn't say they "choked" per se at the end of the 2015 season, they certainly stalled out.  They had been sitting in 7th all season long, ahead of Phantom and Madison.  Yes, I know they had a flu outbreak which caused them to withdraw from Atlanta & Winston-Salem.  But they still beat both Madison and Phantom after that.  It wasn't until Finals week that those 2 corps both passed Cavaliers and knocked them into 9th Place.

I drove for Cavaliers from San Antonio to Atlanta last year during swamp week. To hear their staff tell it, 40 kids left Nashville show the night before Atlanta and on the trip to Atlanta got violently ill. Some didn’t make it back to the field until semis. I’m surprised they didn’t drop further in 2015. 

3 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

My nick is Popcorn Eater for a reason. 

I personally see more potential in 2018 than I did last year’s trip to Mars. But no one has ever mistaken me for a judge. 

There is definitely more potential in the Cavaliers show this year, and that's not to say that last year was bad. In 2016, while I was not a fan of that show per say, I was not shocked they passed Cadets who simply did not have a well-designed show and suffered from GE.  The 2016 Cavaliers were smart in design, and even if you didn't care for that show you had to be impressed by their ability to make it work logically in a manner that allowed for solid GE.  They also just flat out marched really well. 

I was super impressed that they pulled the upset over Bluecoats last year. Blooo is one of my favorite drum corps so at first I was not happy they fell to 5th. I did like the Cavaliers 2017 show a good bit more than 2016. I still felt brass was good but not great and the musical arrangements still felt more effect based and choppy.  That said, they marched their tail ends off, their guard was fantastic, as were drums, and they took a complex design and made it work. In the end they benefited from some great GE and visual.  

My only read on them this year was the early performance a few days ago which I managed to catch on YT before it was yanked. I really enjoy the show. Solid in every respect and I actually love the music. When the Cavaliers get visual design and music to the same level...look out. Historically that is when they are most dangerous. 

Despite various predictions, all in good fun, what makes this difficult is the high level of quality at the top.  There are 6 corps that may have shows capable of top 3 potential. Maybe 7 corps. The Troopers could come out with a show that in the 90s would end up in 9th or 10th but this year could still be 14th or 15th.  But let's see what the judges have to say.

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 1

I honestly think The Cavaliers have created a team that will contend for a medal every season. Passionote and smart individuals that know it is more about rings or medals, but at the same time, that is how you win championships. Get the team to buy in to your plan and you are going to knock it out of the park every time. Of course I am a homer, but this staff is extremely special and I am looking forward to when they make there way to Texas.... please hurry up and get here!!!! I NEED TO SEE IT!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

So...I'm sure everyone that's ever read any of my posts knows I'm a Cavalier parent, and a total homer at that. So you always have to read anything I write through that prism. 

I'm having fun watching the "prediction" threads because of the wild variability I see people predicting for the Cavaliers in 2018. Seen as high as 2nd, and as low as 7th. Which brought a question to my mind. 

In 2016, the Cavaliers entered Finals Week pretty much a consensus 6th place, and ran down and passed the Cadets to finish 5th. 
In 2017, the Cavaliers entered Finals Week pretty much a consensus 5th place, and ran down and passed the Bluecoats to finish 4th on the last night of the season. 

Again...knowing my "prism", do you think the Cavaliers have a certain "reputation" for maxing out their score/placement at this point, or were those two seasons generally considered anomalies? 

I think  no matter what position the Cavaliers are in come early August, if I was sitting a half point ahead of them, I'd probably be aware of their " closing ability".

Can you tell I'm just ready to watch the show on Thursday? :-) This is a "stretch" to even be a topic. But I'm not getting any work done anyway. 

Eh - -the past 2 years they have passed over corps with design issues. Doesn't happen every year - but in finals week design MATTERS

4 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Personally, I think last year's top 6 will remain in tact and pull even farther head of the 7th place corps than last year. 

A lot of people are going to be very surprised by the Cadets

Edited by George Dixon

2 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

I drove for Cavaliers from San Antonio to Atlanta last year during swamp week. To hear their staff tell it, 40 kids left Nashville show the night before Atlanta and on the trip to Atlanta got violently ill. Some didn’t make it back to the field until semis. I’m surprised they didn’t drop further in 2015. 

I was there. It was bad, but it wasn't nearly that dramtic.

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

Eh - -the past 2 years they have passed over corps with design issues. Doesn't happen every year - but in finals week design MATTERS

A lot of people are going to be very surprised by the Cadets

I hope so. If they re-enter the top 6 or are at least close, I will be surprised. I am concerned about their decline and recent events. It could either be a totally fresh start for them and they could surprise us, or they could drop further. Regardless, I think they will be in a much better place going forward. Now that the maniac is gone.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I hope so. If they re-enter the top 6 or are at least close, I will be surprised. I am concerned about their decline and recent events. It could either be a totally fresh start for them and they could surprise us, or they could drop further. Regardless, I think they will be in a much better place going forward. Now that the maniac is gone.

Edited by Tim K
Answered the wrong post.

After seeing the most recent flomarching brass video from the Cavaliers, I am blown away. I can't wait for the season to start. This should put the doubting the rest that they have the closing ability ...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=861339120731841&id=538048943060862