Stanford, CA - June 23, 2018

Just now, jeffmolnar said:

I was feeling Crown in the theater too. Crown and BD are the standouts for me so far.

In the theater Crown kinda bored me, but seeing them tonight greatly improved my appreciation. Usually they are too...Disney or something for me, but last year made me a more of a fan. Really liked last year.

For me, it’s BD, Cavaliers, Boston, and now Blue Knights. The other ones are great too, but these stuck out in my mind. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, awunderlich said:

how long has it been

Last time SCV beat BD was June 20, 2007 at the Bakersfield show.  So it's been 11 years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PRphan72 said:

Last time SCV beat BD was June 20, 2007 at the Bakersfield show.  So it's been 11 years.

so you're saying their due

I've only seen shows at the cinema and on Flo, but based on that I think my order of preference so far is:

1. Bluecoats

2. Blue Devils

3. Carolina Crown

4. Santa Clara Vanguard

5. Boston Crusaders

6. Cadets

7. Cavaliers

8. Crossmen

9. Blue Knights

10. Mandarins

11. Blue Stars

12. Phantom Regiment

13. Troopers

14. Academy

15. Genesis

That's far from settled--in fact, I already changed my mind just between Thursday and tonight and probably will again with more viewings.

2 minutes ago, PRphan72 said:

And yet by Finals that year, BD was first (98.000) and SCV was fifth (94.175).

8 minutes ago, TRacer said:

Really?? I thought SCV marched 84 horns? Dang!! SCVC “only” has 72...

Maybe they have holes yet to fill?

Now that the West Coast scores are in, tonight has proven to be interesting. Take aways:

SCV has more of a punch than people said after last night. Second place for BD does not mean the season is over, and how the two stack up against Crown and Bloo remains to be seen. Cavies and BAC at a minimum will not loose ground, but since both seem to get in fuller gear as the season progresses, and Crown may have a trick or two in store, I expect the top 4 to be BD, Crown, SCV, and Bloo, trading places as the summer progresses with the possibility of Cavies and BAC being flies in the ointment. 

BK needs to be concerned about Cadets and possibly Phantom. Judging from posts and not scores, it sounds like Cadets may have more to offer and while I see them as a solid 7th now, I may feel differently as the season progresses. 

Mandarins are a probability for finals, Academy a possibility. Madison needs to be concerned, and can’t take comfort in it still being the early season. Mandarins especially sounds ready. Blue Stars and Crossmen will likewise have their work cut out for them. Colts could also catch people by surprise.

I am going to be very eager to watch Mandarins and how they develop their show this summer. I was talking with one of their members earlier and they believe they’re a top 10 or better corps.  After seeing their show tonight, I believe them too!  

• Like 1

As a long time SCV supporter, so stoked to see them beat BD on the west coast. Looking forward to seeing them both at RCC next week. Perhaps I will witness, live the first time SCV beat BD. Also looking forward the Mandarins, BK and The Academy. What a season.

posted from the DrumScorps app