Akron, OH - June 23, 2018

9 minutes ago, MotoSurfBass said:

Thing is... last year Bloo really didn't add anything from Premiere to Finals. Everything was fleshed out and locked in from the first show, and it hurt them at the end of the long run.

I normally agree with the sentiment that this phrase is just a myth, but it came to fruition last year, certainly.

I don't disagree with you there.  These programs (for both groups) isn't last year.  It seems that Bloo, specifically is trying something different strategically from the last couple years... there's a lot of expansion room there and they have divulged that they have a lot in the works on their media posts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, cfirwin3 said:

I don't disagree with you there.  These programs (for both groups) isn't last year.  It seems that Bloo, specifically is trying something different strategically from the last couple years... there's a lot of expansion room there and they have divulged that they have a lot in the works on their media posts.

Definitely agree there.

My feelings regarding Bluecoats is that last year they put it all on the field, this year it seems they’ve spent more time on basics and technique and have a shell in the field they will layer upon: more of a BD approach. 

• Like 1

I just got home to West Virginia.  I really enjoyed the show sitting with drum corps buddy @jwillis35 directly upstream ^^^.

Jon sorry I couldn't linger longer but I really got tired on the way home.  I was so psyched up after watching that MONSTER of an early season show I completely forgot that by the time I drove home that means I was awake 21 hours.  That's too long for an old fossil like me. 

I saw the Crown shuttle vehicle on its way through West Virginia.  I believe it was piloted by our new friend Joe, from Carolina Crown who sat with us.  Cool guy and a real drum corps fan.  He clapped for every corps not out of politeness, but for what I perceived was a genuine love for all the kids on the field putting it all out there for us fans.

I'm headed to bed but I just want to say briefly Bluecoats are the Real Deal.  GE was off the chart with this high powered high energy show and it could absolutely take home the championship trophy in August.

+++

Edit:  I just briefly looked at the scores on DCI.org.  If I were scoring at home it would have been Bluecoats, Crown, Crossmen (great show!) Phantom, Cadets and then Genesis, the latter I saw for the first time ever tonight.  They have a really nice smooth style and were obviously well instructed.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jwillis35 said:

... I must mention the Sound Sport group that performed tonight sounded excellent. Forgetting the name but they had some excellent brass musicians and fun music. ...

Rogues Hollow Regiment from Doylestown (for those who don't know, that's about halfway between Akron and Wooster). Don't quote me on this, but I think the group was originally an offshoot of the Chippewa High School band. This appears to be the source of their name: http://www.forgottenoh.com/rogueshollow.html

• Like 2

Was able to see some closer footage of Blooo...

I'm not a percussion guy, but seems to me that the field line is projecting a heathly dose of aloofness on the featured moments.  Now that's ingrained in the theme of the show and it's part of their stylistic shtick anyway...

But I can't help but wonder if it makes the most important stuff a bit harder to read (if not outright affecting performance).  It's not like they are getting hammered in drums, but they certainly aren't going to be competitive when all groups come together.  I wonder if there is any easy boost to be had there by simply posturing the featured moments a bit better?

This topic might end up being the '2017 baritone solo' of 2018.

8 hours ago, George Dixon said:

My feelings regarding Bluecoats is that last year they put it all on the field, this year it seems they’ve spent more time on basics and technique and have a shell in the field they will layer upon: more of a BD approach. 

If I didn’t know better, I would think Sesson 44 is Blue Devils. With hipper costumes.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

I honestly believe this is one show where the traditional cadet might be warranted: I don’t think the uniforms do anything for the show, not in the least.

I 100% agree!

• Thanks 1