Akron, OH - June 23, 2018

57 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

If I didn’t know better, I would think Sesson 44 is Blue Devils. With hipper costumes.

...But 90's Devils.

And the ballad and closer is Bluecoats through and through.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I just got home to West Virginia.  I really enjoyed the show sitting with drum corps buddy @jwillis35 directly upstream ^^^.

Jon sorry I couldn't linger longer but I really got tired on the way home.  I was so psyched up after watching that MONSTER of an early season show I completely forgot that by the time I drove home that means I was awake 21 hours.  That's too long for an old fossil like me. 

I saw the Crown shuttle vehicle on its way through West Virginia.  I believe it was piloted by our new friend Joe, from Carolina Crown who sat with us.  Cool guy and a real drum corps fan.  He clapped for every corps not out of politeness, but for what I perceived was a genuine love for all the kids on the field putting it all out there for us fans.

I'm headed to bed but I just want to say briefly Bluecoats are the Real Deal.  GE was off the chart with this high powered high energy show and it could absolutely take home the championship trophy in August.

+++

Edit:  I just briefly looked at the scores on DCI.org.  If I were scoring at home it would have been Bluecoats, Crown, Crossmen (great show!) Phantom, Cadets and then Genesis, the latter I saw for the first time ever tonight.  They have a really nice smooth style and were obviously well instructed.

Yep, that was indeed me.  I certainly enjoyed meeting you guys.  Just got home after that long, 10 hour drive.  All of the corps were great last night.  Here's to another great season!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

...But 90's Devils.

And the ballad and closer is Bluecoats through and through.

Yes, 90s Devils. But the brass staging smells of current BD. The arrangements, especially early in the show, are right out of the Bd Playbook. And I say this as a compliment. The last third of the show...all Bluecoats. Cannot wait to see how they evolve the show as the season progresses. So many possibilities. They are going to be tough to keep off the medal stand. 

Scv, wow, what a shocker too, and I mean that as, with as many age outs as they had last year they return with something this advanced?! Dayum. This is not the year to be a pretty good contender. This very well could be the year Bd finishes fourth, if Crown can get their show moving. And again, that’s nothing against BD. They are always going to be in the mix, you cannot ever count them out, but these other big time corps have figured out the formula and they are putting massive, complex, stylish shows on the field from day 1.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Yes, 90s Devils. But the brass staging smells of current BD. The arrangements, especially early in the show, are right out of the Bd Playbook. And I say this as a compliment. The last third of the show...all Bluecoats. Cannot wait to see how they evolve the show as the season progresses. So many possibilities. They are going to be tough to keep off the medal stand. 

Scv, wow, what a shocker too, and I mean that as, with as many age outs as they had last year they return with something this advanced?! Dayum. This is not the year to be a pretty good contender. This very well could be the year Bd finishes fourth, if Crown can get their show moving. And again, that’s nothing against BD. They are always going to be in the mix, you cannot ever count them out, but these other big time corps have figured out the formula and they are putting massive, complex, stylish shows on the field from day 1.

They are certainly marching like BD.  And that's saying something.  I think they decided to get serious about the details.  It's a better plan than just relying on that GE figure.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I was trying to let this go, but you've succeeded in baiting me, lol.

When was the last time BD had a contra line like Bloo? When was the last time BD had all low brass like Bloo? When was the last time a contra book was even written for BD like Doug Thrower has for Bloo? Granted, if a corps is going to play jazz, and going to do it VERY WELL, they'll be compared to BD (long ago) cuz BD set the standard of excellence in that genre. So, if that's all you're saying, I'm down. But to say they "sound like" BD just makes you look crazy, or tone deaf. Bloo brass (#signaturesound) sounds nothing like BD of any time! Neither the arrangements nor the sound!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Bruckner8 said:

I was trying to let this go, but you've succeeded in baiting me, lol.

When was the last time BD had a contra line like Bloo? When was the last time BD had all low brass like Bloo? When was the last time a contra book was even written for BD like Doug Thrower has for Bloo? Granted, if a corps is going to play jazz, and going to do it VERY WELL, they'll be compared to BD (long ago) cuz BD set the standard of excellence in that genre. So, if that's all you're saying, I'm down. But to say they "sound like" BD just makes you look crazy, or tone deaf. Bloo brass (#signaturesound) sounds nothing like BD of any time! Neither the arrangements nor the sound!

No question the middle and lower brass for Bluecoats is totally different than BD.

• Like 3