2018 singing and narration

1 hour ago, goodmello said:

Anyone know if Bloo's vocalist is live or canned?

Indeed she was live.  Many of you may have heard her singing with Union H.S. at last falls BOA finals.  Great voice and taking on Joni Mitchell and Billie Holiday at the ripe old age of 18.  WOW

• Like 5

17 hours ago, crownisking said:

Again, we’re talking about two different skill sets. The MMs are there to play and march, not to sing or recite lines. So comparing prerecorded vocals to a prerecorded playing of an instrument isn’t a fair comparison. 

wait, no. MMs are there to perform the show. if designers want to throw singing and/or spoken word elements into the show, that's their prerogative, but if they're calling for special skills, their MMs better have them, or the show should rightly feel it in their scores.

9 hours ago, oldbandguy said:

Indeed she was live.  Many of you may have heard her singing with Union H.S. at last falls BOA finals.  Great voice and taking on Joni Mitchell and Billie Holiday at the ripe old age of 18.  WOW

Yes, she was outstanding.  Sang live.  Did not eclipse the corps.  Totally enhanced the mood.  Poised, and very soulful.  Good job, Bloo!  The show was better because of her.  

• Like 4

I don’t care if Whitney Houston’s clone is out there: Vocalists do not belong on the drum corps field.  If I want to see “Pitch Perfect” I’ll borrow the movie from my teenage daughter.  Go ahead and flame me but if you go back to 2017 you’ll see I’m consistent because I didn’t like Crown featuring a singer either.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

I don’t care if Whitney Houston’s clone is out there: Vocalists do not belong on the drum corps field.  If I want to see “Pitch Perfect” I’ll borrow the movie from my teenage daughter.  Go ahead and flame me but if you go back to 2017 you’ll see I’m consistent because I didn’t like Crown featuring a singer either.  

You're a purist!   Not gonna flame you for it :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

Crowns singer in 17 was roundly panned all summer. However many liked Bostons young lady

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Crowns singer in 17 was roundly panned all summer. However many liked Bostons young lady

I think it was the demeanor more than anything. Boston's young lady didn't act like she was the "Star" of the show and actually went back to doing guard work and sang circles around the karaoke singer.

6 minutes ago, flammaster said:

I think it was the demeanor more than anything. Boston's young lady didn't act like she was the "Star" of the show and actually went back to doing guard work and sang circles around the karaoke singer.

She was a very sweet and pretty girl and she got better throughout the season.  But to me, the singing just wasn’t as special as that magnificent brass line.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1