2018 singing and narration

1 minute ago, Ediker said:

Yeah, it's a struggle between artistry and sport.  My preference is for the sporting aspects of this activity: I like seeing people doing difficult things under pressure... knowing that a bad run can make a difference.    

I think we both agree here. I’m also attracted to the risk in a lot of ways. I guess I’ve seen it go sour for the home team one too many times. Especially when it comes to singing. Arguably, Crown has never done it well. So I guess what I’m saying really mostly applies to them. I don’t mind seeing other corps with better track records try things live.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, crownisking said:

I think we both agree here. I’m also attracted to the risk in a lot of ways. I guess I’ve seen it go sour for the home team one too many times. Especially when it comes to singing. Arguably, Crown has never done it well. So I guess what I’m saying really mostly applies to them. I don’t mind seeing other corps with better track records try things live.

Seriously, you didn't like Crown 2013?  I thought it was brilliant. 

2017 had problems, but I did appreciate that it was done live with a MM.  If all of that were recorded, I'd have left the stadium!  It was a risky venture, and that's part of why I'm a Crown fan.  

Just now, Ediker said:

Seriously, you didn't like Crown 2013?  I thought it was brilliant. 

2017 had problems, but I did appreciate that it was done live with a MM.  If all of that were recorded, I'd have left the stadium!  It was a risky venture, and that's part of why I'm a Crown fan.  

I loved Crown ‘13. But I also remember the dozens of fans that complained about the vocals endlessly and had Crown not won, I guarantee that would have been where all the blame was placed. 

Little known fact: Crown’s ‘14 ballad originally featured one of the MMs singing but it was cut before the first show. The guy didn’t sound that bad but it had the same problems as the ‘17 ballad. He was featured way too much and he was singing over some really nice moments. 

• Like 1

Just now, crownisking said:

Little known fact: Crown’s ‘14 ballad originally featured one of the MMs singing but it was cut before the first show. The guy didn’t sound that bad but it had the same problems as the ‘17 ballad. He was featured way too much and he was singing over some really nice moments. 

Good. Crown brass 14 was one of my favorite hornlines of all time.

• Like 2

For me I usually lean towards not liking either but it depends on the context of the show. It really is a personal preference.

I feel pre-recorded narration worked really well for BK 14 but the audio singing sample was awful and unnecessary.

The performance level was there for Cadets 2017 but it was way too much musical theatre. That show was just too much in general. However I didn't hate the narration in 2007... probably the only one.

It worked in crown 13 and 14 but I hated it in crown 04 and 17

Hated Boston 15 but thought 17 was very classy.

I generally don't like the way BD uses sampling (i.e. Rihanna) and I feel those moments are total head scratchers when you have a group on the field that is supposedly the best of the best.

Best example is Bluecoats :fight:...short, powerful, emotional, and to the point. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, crownisking said:

Sorry, I have to disagree with you there. BD does all of their singing/narration prerecorded and they are the best at using it, IMO. I would much rather hear professional narration than hear a college kid who’s in way above his/her head take a stab at it. It’s backfired far too often and only “worked” a handful of times.

My opinion: anything performed should be performed live. If it can't be performed live, it shouldn't be in the show.

Otherwise why not just hire, e.g., Wynton Marsalis to record all the trumpet solos?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

My opinion: anything performed should be performed live. If it can't be performed live, it shouldn't be in the show.

Otherwise why not just hire, e.g., Wynton Marsalis to record all the trumpet solos?

Again, we’re talking about two different skill sets. The MMs are there to play and march, not to sing or recite lines. So comparing prerecorded vocals to a prerecorded playing of an instrument isn’t a fair comparison. 

7 minutes ago, crownisking said:

Again, we’re talking about two different skill sets. The MMs are there to play and march, not to sing or recite lines. So comparing prerecorded vocals to a prerecorded playing of an instrument isn’t a fair comparison. 

I disagree. These days it’s part of the fabric.