2018 singing and narration

5 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Then why not take this to its logical conclusion?  Record brass, pit,& battery under the best acoustic conditions, and play it through the amp system; put one member in pit area to press the "play" button.  Then put 149 guard on the field to do all the movement stuff.

IMHO, every sound heard should be made by members on the field.  If it backfires, well then it backfires.  That is part of the risk and thrill of a live performance.  If the DCI Corps market themselves as the 'Major League of Marching Music' they need to take risks.  No guts, no glory.

I get your point and it’s a fair one. I never hold the MMs to the same standard when it comes to singing and narration because that’s not their primary job. Their main focus is on playing their instrument and marching. I don’t expect that same kid to also be able to sing perfectly or read a few lines with perfect pronunciation every single night. 

I’m not saying I’m ok with half the show prerecorded either. When done properly , prerecorded material can enhance a show in a way that doesn’t take any attention off of what’s still being done live. Again, see BD. 

3 hours ago, gak27 said:

I believe Crossmen have a vocalist...

Sorry, didn't fully read the previous post...

yup a male, something newish to DCI, usually its been females or ensembles

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

yup a male, something newish to DCI, usually its been females or ensembles

I heard that in their preview and tried to see if I could see if there was a singer. I liked the tune, not so sure about the singing quality (I will give spacious room though to sound quality making it sound not as good though).

2 minutes ago, crownisking said:

I get your point and it’s a fair one. I never hold the MMs to the same standard when it comes to singing and narration because that’s not their primary job. Their main focus is on playing their instrument and marching. I don’t expect that same kid to also be able to sing perfectly or read a few lines with perfect pronunciation every single night. 

I’m not saying I’m ok with half the show prerecorded either. When done properly , prerecorded material can enhance a show in a way that doesn’t take any attention off of what’s still being done live. Again, see BD. 

I may be in the minority, but I'm not of the opinion that BD does everything best.  I'll take Crown 2013, with all of the MM vocals and narration over samples of Rihanna any day.  

Certain vocalizations are better done with recordings.  For example, the shrieks and "w-w-w-w-w-WITCH!", in Boston 2017 were better recorded.  However, the "It was her!" and "She did it!" would have been more effective if done by members.  I don't think it's asking too much of members.  They've been talking longer than they've been playing/twirling, right?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Forevergreen said:

I heard that in their preview and tried to see if I could see if there was a singer. I liked the tune, not so sure about the singing quality (I will give spacious room though to sound quality making it sound not as good though).

what i saw was...well June. lots of time

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ediker said:

I may be in the minority, but I'm not of the opinion that BD does everything best.  I'll take Crown 2013, with all of the MM vocals and narration over samples of Rihanna any day.  

Certain vocalizations are better done with recordings.  For example, the shrieks and "w-w-w-w-w-WITCH!", in Boston 2017 were better recorded.  However, the "It was her!" and "She did it!" would have been more effective if done by members.  I don't think it's asking too much of members.  They've been talking longer than they've been playing/twirling, right?

I think you may be in he minority, at least amongst show designers. I kind of thought the part of BAC’s show you’re talking about was kinda cheesy as is, but IMO it would have been ‘06 Cadets level bad if they’d tried to do it live. And even Crown’s 2013 usage of live voice received quite a bit of criticism from fans. But at the end of the day, I think it just comes down to personal preference. And clearly, at least for the time being, most designers would rather not take the risk and just prerecord whatever vocals they want in their show.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, crownisking said:

I think you may be in he minority, at least amongst show designers. I kind of thought the part of BAC’s show you’re talking about was kinda cheesy as is, but IMO it would have been ‘06 Cadets level bad if they’d tried to do it live. And even Crown’s 2013 usage of live voice received quite a bit of criticism from fans. But at the end of the day, I think it just comes down to personal preference. And clearly, at least for the time being, most designers would rather not take the risk and just prerecord whatever vocals they want in their show.

Yeah, it's a struggle between artistry and sport.  My preference is for the sporting aspects of this activity: I like seeing people doing difficult things under pressure... knowing that a bad run can make a difference.  The activity would hold no interest for me except for that aspect.  

• Like 3

Just now, MikeN said:

Gotta say, I can't believe there was any member of Boston's Quixotic show that would have had a better voice than their recorded one. :wub:

Mike

Love Boston.  Didn't like the canned voice overs in Quixotic.  To me, it just dilutes what the performers are doing on the field.