Burning questions after Saturday night

1 minute ago, mfrontz said:

In 1999 they tied for 1st place at finals, after being behind in quarters and semis.

1 minute ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I marched '85, '86 and '87 (not SCV) and you're wrong. In 1985 Blue Devils hammered them in June. They ended up passing Blue Devils and beating Garfield at DCI East, and eventually finished 2nd at finals. That's hardly starting strong and peaking in July. In '86 the only corps that beat them was Blue Devils and the only corps that they didn't beat was Blue Devils. So, they started right behind BD and finished right behind BD (with a very comfortable margin over 3rd place Cavaliers 97.0 to 95.7. In '87 they were undefeated and lost finals by 0.1. That is hardly peaking too earlier or starting strong and fading. Furthermore, a F'ed up percussion judge arguably cost them the title in '87. 

And I taught 83-92. In 87 they were undefeated until finals but during the month of July they did not improve. That left the door open for Cadets. And it wasn't an F'ed up judge. The corps was tight on finals night. Saw both from the same spot in the stadium. I was VERY familiar with SCV. Cadets won that night. SCV did not FINISH strong. Again... not been the strong suit of the corps. Lets see what happens this year. Again... would be happy to be wrong. 

2 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I marched '85, '86 and '87 (not SCV) and you're wrong. In 1985 Blue Devils hammered them in June. They ended up passing Blue Devils and beating Garfield at DCI East, and eventually finished 2nd at finals. That's hardly starting strong and peaking in July. In '86 the only corps that beat them was Blue Devils and the only corps that they didn't beat was Blue Devils. So, they started right behind BD and finished right behind BD (with a very comfortable margin over 3rd place Cavaliers 97.0 to 95.7. In '87 they were undefeated and lost finals by 0.1. That is hardly peaking too earlier or starting strong and fading. Furthermore, a F'ed up percussion judge arguably cost them the title in '87. 

So you are saying Garfield didn't deserve a perfect percussion score that night? :winky:

(I was there in '87 with some of Garfield's staff. No one was more shocked they won than their own staff.)

4 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

1989 as well.

4 minutes ago, PeterGibbons said:

So you are saying Garfield didn't deserve a perfect percussion score that night? :winky:

(I was there in '87 with some of Garfield's staff. No one was more shocked they won than their own staff.)

That wasn't shock... it was elation... they finished strong (as the Cadets of that ear did). And I know because I was with them as well as with the SCV staff. When people saw the sheets they were upset because of the perfect score. But before the sheets it was clear Cadets performed to win and SVC not to lose.

Edited by MusicManNJ
spelling

16 minutes ago, PeterGibbons said:

I'm saying it's absurd for two judges to give 10.0s in a caption when the defending champion (in that caption) has yet to perform. He left no room for the Blue Devils percussion to come in over them had they been better. It was poor numbers management. Absolutely no one is perfect - not even 2014 Blue Devils. It's impossible. Was Garfield's percussion a full 0.5 better than SCV? I don't know, but the percussion judges did a #### job with numbers management, and that #### job could have impacted the outcome.

They tied in Visual and Brass. If Garfield had won both of those captions and had won the whole thing by more, I would have nothing to say on the topic. I think both Garfield and SCV were spectacular in '87 and those two shows remain in my top 5 favorites to this day. I will not say Garfield didn't deserve the win, because the show was legendary. If SCV had won I would not say they didn't deserve it either. It was extremely close and the numbers went in Garfield's favor. They were both worthy of a championship, but you don't shell out a 20.0 with one corps left, especially when that corps is the defending percussion champion. That's all.

Merely I'm arguing to prove the point that SCV hardly has a history of fast starts, slow finishes, and no improvements in July. Those statements are absurd.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are we experiencing a more jazzy (melodic) SCV & Bluecoats? Along with BD seems "All That Jazz" is rising to the top. Is that what the members want to play these days? Also does SCV's show end on the drum solo? Has that been done before?

7 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

That wasn't shock... it was elation... they finished strong (as the Cadets of that ear did). And I know because I was with them as well as with the SCV staff. When people saw the sheets they were upset because of the perfect score. But before the sheets it was clear Cadets performed to win and SVC not to lose.

No, that was not clear. I don't know where you are coming up with this stuff. Both performed to win. Both were exceptional. It was probably my favorite top 2 ever, along with last year's top 2. Losing by 0.1 is hardly playing not to lose. Garfield was exceptional. It happens. It was a beautifully crafted show and I can understand why the judges wanted to reward it so well.

Edited by queenanne_1536