Burning questions after Saturday night

14 minutes ago, goodmello said:

ok... don't send me to the firing squad...

This is just totally wishful thinking based on what we've seen so far.

Madison is at risk of falling out of finals, that I think is decently obvious.  Also, Crossmen and Blue Stars aren't that far away from groups like Mandarins, Colts, and Academy... in theory.

I would just absolutely loss my mind if we had two shake ups for top 12!  

I say this because Mandarins are dong so well, and Colts almost beat Madison, AFTER having a big gap in performance time, which I think gives the edge to Madison.

As much as I enjoy Blue Stars, I think their show isnt what it needs to be this year.  Also, there's NO WAY those shoes are going to pay off by the end of the season.

That's why you should never buy shoes on credit.

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I do think Madison is at risk of falling out of finals, but I think the performance order hurt Madison last night. Colts were compared to Pioneer (before them) and Madison was compared to Boston (before them). Obviously, anyone would rather be compared to Pioneer than Boston. It's not necessary the order which you perform, it's who you are being compared to - who's on before you basically. Madison would have been better off, IMO, declining the option to go on last and instead going on after Colts.

I would put Mandarins with Crossmen and Blue Stars; and Madison, Colts and Academy together. I just don't see Academy beating the Mandarins, and without beating the Mandarins there is absolutely no way into finals for them. The theme is a huge misfire IMO, and I felt their show was a step down from 2017, which was a step down from 2016. Too bad, really, because Corps Bride was one of my favorite shows in 2016.

I see it as. the judges needed to compare Colts and Madison. Seeing as they were close but unable to accurately score them, they gave the edge to Madison, based on general assumptions and patterns.

Of course both of our points are useless because they're already a scored and we aren't judges...

Just my thoughts.  We'll see what happens next time we see them together!

I have not seen Madison yet.I thought Mandarins were technically better than them last year but Madison just had the emotional push to their show that got them enough GE to edge them out.  I loved Miraculous Mandarin. (My favorite Bartok piece).

Just now, goodmello said:

I see it as. the judges needed to compare Colts and Madison. Seeing as they were close but unable to accurately score them, they gave the edge to Madison, based on general assumptions and patterns.

Of course both of our points are useless because they're already a scored and we aren't judges...

Just my thoughts.  We'll see what happens next time we see them together!

Can you please explain your first point? I don't understand. When a judge is judging a performance, all they have to go on, in addition to that performance, is what they have seen previously that night. So, with Colts they only had Pioneer to compare them to. With Madison it was Boston. So when you are watching Colts and comparing them to Pioneer, anyones assessment would be Colts are vastly better than Pioneer. When watching Madison and comparing them to BAC, anyones assessment would be that BAC is much better. How much lower Madison scored because of that comparison to Boston I don't know, but I absolutely think performance order hurt them last night.

6 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Wow we certainly have our share of experts :whistle:

No experts here. All in good fun, so none of this should bother anyone. 

• Like 2

All about head to head contact to really see where everyone relates and how much they can react, adapt, and make changes and improvements. Looks like things will be very, very interesting, a lot of good corps and shows.

Gonna have to wait to see what happens when West meets the rest of the bunch to find this out, and am looking forward to it. :guinesssmilie:

....anyone care to start a Colts 2018 thread? Or I'm just an idiot and can't find it! Really nice program they've got lined up for this season.

Mandarins, Academy, & Colts (haven't been able to find any full show recordings of Troop yet) all appear to be firing on all cylinders this year, none of them planning to be left out of the final Saturday show without a fight. I love it!

Edited by Jake W.

9 minutes ago, Jake W. said:

....anyone care to start a Colts 2018 thread? Or I'm just an idiot and can't find it! Really nice program they're got lined up for this season.

Mandarins, Academy, & Colts (haven't been able to find any full show recordings of Troop yet) all appear to be firing on all cylinders this year, none of them planning to be left out of the final Saturday show without a fight. I love it!

There's isn't one yet.

6 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I'm just not sure it is beatable, especially considering every section is running on all cylinders.

I believe they have already been beaten once. And SCV has a history of starting strong and not being able to finish. This year may be different but there is a lot of work to be done by all the corps so we will just have to wait for San Antonio.

• Like 2