Sacramento, CA - June 24 ,2018

Oh, one thing I noticed tonight is that Academy seems to have axed the Fibonacci numbers from their opener. So they still recite a couple equations and the Pythagorean Theorem, but they no longer had the numbers interrupting the rest of their opener. I think it worked MUCH better. They did have a pretty cringe-worthy collision between one brass member and a “chalkboard” though.

posted from the DrumScorps app

1 minutes ago, flammaster said:

20 minutes ago, brassboy said:

They did great, even the though the sun was right in their eyes and the wind kicked up in time for the show to give all the guards a major challenge. I really like SCVC’s show this year. They have a great, mature sound, and I think the design is superior to BDB’s. I’m guessing they’re only trailing because their show isn’t complete yet. 

And they had gum in their hair and Russia.. what happened

And if you don’t agree, you can always scroll on by.

posted from the DrumScorps app

One if the triangle things for BK lost a wheel. One of the guard ladies in time with the music crawled over and grabbed the wheel. Very impressive save!  

I am so excited for the Mandarins.  I wish my beloved Freelancers were still around, but at least another corps from Sacramento has a great chance to not only make Finals, but could even end up in 10th.   The corps from Cali are awesome this year!  Congratulations on SCV beating BD for the first time in many years!  Congratulations to the Blue Devils for winning last night in Sacramento. I predicted in the prediction thread that BD would lose some shows in CA this year.  Anyway, Go BD, SCV and Mandarins!  Three corps from California will make Finals this year!  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Jump 6 placement positions ? from 13th to 7th ? No , Thats not going to happen, imo. That said, I could see Mandarins moving up from 13th to 12th or 11th... and maybe to as high as 10th this summer ( 3 placement positions ) if things break just right for them this season. it depends on how others do in this range too. I can see at the moment however that a Finals spot is definately within their reach come August.

While I agree a jump from 13th to 7th may be overly ambitious, I would not be even a little surprised to see them 9th or 10th. Actually, I think expecting an 11th or 12th place finish would be selling them short. They are performing with a maturity and confidence people have not seen from this corps before. (And this is not a hopeful confidence. It’s a “Really, just watch, we’ve got this” type of confidence!)  Major improvements in brass and guard; the best they have put on the field up to this date.  I think a lot of people are going to sit up and take notice when they see Mandarins live, and they are going to be the big pleasant surprise of the summer. 

1 hour ago, Photographer Jim said:

While I agree a jump from 13th to 7th may be overly ambitious, I would not be even a little surprised to see them 9th or 10th. Actually, I think expecting an 11th or 12th place finish would be selling them short. They are performing with a maturity and confidence people have not seen from this corps before. (And this is not a hopeful confidence. It’s a “Really, just watch, we’ve got this” type of confidence!)  Major improvements in brass and guard; the best they have put on the field up to this date.  I think a lot of people are going to sit up and take notice when they see Mandarins live, and they are going to be the big pleasant surprise of the summer. 

How can it be a surprise when everyone is talking about them and expecting them to finish Top 12? They really aren’t the underdog this season. 

9 hours ago, Everyfan said:

A few thoughts:

1) phew...all is right in the world again for BD fans.

2) Where is Treefiddy who was declaring the season over last night and assuring us that SCV and SCVC would both win it all?

3) Slotting...or something...

All was already right with the world. I’m fairly confident BD’s taking home #19 again 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CorpSmother said:

How can it be a surprise when everyone is talking about them and expecting them to finish Top 12? They really aren’t the underdog this season. 

I am using the word surprise to indicate that although many have stated they think Mandarins have a shot at finals, many will not realize just how much they have improved until they see them live, and some will find the extent of that improvement to be much larger than they expected (hence, a surprise).  I for one, after seeing them this weekend, expect them to finish no lower than 10th.