Sacramento, CA - June 24 ,2018

2 hours ago, Photographer Jim said:

While I agree a jump from 13th to 7th may be overly ambitious, I would not be even a little surprised to see them 9th or 10th. Actually, I think expecting an 11th or 12th place finish would be selling them short. They are performing with a maturity and confidence people have not seen from this corps before. (And this is not a hopeful confidence. It’s a “Really, just watch, we’ve got this” type of confidence!)  Major improvements in brass and guard; the best they have put on the field up to this date.  I think a lot of people are going to sit up and take notice when they see Mandarins live, and they are going to be the big pleasant surprise of the summer. 

You could be right. Its early too. I've only seen./ heard them via Flo. But the Show Design is modern, creative and sophisticated. Guard seems properly integrated into the show and show theme to me. Very solid brass. percussion this season. Improved Corps, with  more technical demand in this year's show . If they don't peak too early, continue layering in the show/ props, etc.. you could be right regarding a high as 9th for them. It does get a bit tougher for them moving higher than 11th, imo, but they do have the Show Design to potentially do so. So we'll see.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

You could be right. Its early too. I've only seen./ heard them via Flo. But the Show Design is modern, creative and sophisticated. Guard seems properly integrated into the show and show theme to me. Very solid brass. percussion this season. Improved Corps, with  more technical demand in this year's show . If they don't peak too early, continue layering in the show/ props, etc.. you could be right regarding a high as 9th for them. It does get a bit tougher for them moving higher than 11th, imo, but they do have the Show Design to potentially do so. So we'll see.

All totally true observations. Hopefully my placement predictions aren’t just the wishful thinking of a NorCal corps homer!  :thumbup:

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mega said:

Can't wait to see the performances LIVE at the Rose Bowl, especially the Mandarins.

Enjoy! I have duty on base Saturday :(  But i will be at the Riverside show the following night. Also will be at BD's rehearsal Friday evening. Will report if i see anything new they have added since Sacramento. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Standing O said:

Kinda sucks that Mandarins can't use the stage on a natural turf field.  So again i won't be able to see it at the rose bowl

How important is it to the show? 

Looking forward to seeing them in Mesa.  Pretty sure that is not an artificial turf field.  I imagine most fields they perform on won't be.

8 hours ago, skevinp said:

How important is it to the show? 

Looking forward to seeing them in Mesa.  Pretty sure that is not an artificial turf field.  I imagine most fields they perform on won't be.

From a staging standpoint, it’s a focal point AND provides a little bit of verticality to really draw focus to whomever is up on the stage. Also, the effect generated when it starts to rotate during the drum solo is pretty exciting (to me). If you saw them on Flo, you saw that without the stage they just set up a border to indicate the stage’s edges. It still gave a good sense of where to look, but it definitely gets buried among everything else happening out on the field when there isn’t anything physically distinguishing it from the rest of the field.  

• Thanks 1

I heard the round stage is heavy so it makes complete sense to not use it on natural turf. The uneven ground could cause havoc. I am sad that the Rose Bowl is natural turf. You'd think that they would've upgraded to artificial turf by now. 

• Like 1