DCI In Loudoun County, VA

Also Signed

3 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I too have signed! I went to one of the largest HS band programs in Fairfax County (Westfield) and we played a few (watered down) arrangements of DCI shows over the years such as Cadets' WSS, SCV 1989 Phantom of the Opera, and Crown's 2000 Mask of Zorro. My love for DCI began then, I'd love to see the area have a bigger drum corps presence so more future students can also experience it. 

If you don't mind me asking, when did you graduate from Westfield? I used to be a director at Chantilly and South County

Also...one of the Loudoun County band directors posted on FB that this situation has been blown out of proportion and is misinformation spread by a community member. Whatever issue is there is isolated to one school.  I hope that the uproar is not, in fact making matters worse. 

22 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

IDK how to PM, but I was referring to the GH-gate, and the prognostications of some (back when it was still fresh) that many school districts would not want to host Corps because of the potential liability to the district if an offense occurred on their property. 

For a public school district, it probably has less to do with liability and more to do with what they perceive to be credibility. We are all applauding the actions taken by Cadets alumni, and we should. We admire the kids and they deserve our admiration. Yes YEA hired outside investigators, but if a public school system, which has zero tolerance regarding these issues, faced a similar situation, law enforcement would have the final say. The wider world would not consider removing GH and replacing the board of YEA as solving the problem and would question the objectivity of  YEA hired investigators, even if its a different board. I’m speaking of the wider world, not drum corps.

I know of a news reporter for NBC 4 who shares a mutual friend with me. I follow his stories, which focuses on Louden County. Judging from the news app, it seems that there are a number of school districts in Louden County and the Maryland border facing sexual abuse issues and sexual misconduct involving adults. Hosting a corps dealing with these issues, could be problematic, and it might not just be Cadets. I know of some schools that see drum corps as perfect guests and others that have had horrible experiences. All you need is the GH story, combined with a few housing horror stories, and if someone knows drum corps, shares some of the rumors that are reported to be circulating, and it spells disaster for any corps.

14 hours ago, horndevil said:

If you don't mind me asking, when did you graduate from Westfield? I used to be a director at Chantilly and South County

2013. I was one of Mr. Panoff’s last class of students 

• Like 1

For those in the area, Crown plans on rehearsing until 8:30 at Loudoun Valley in Purcellville. 

• 3 weeks later...
We have just received official word that the Blue Devils visit to Woodgrove High School in Purcellville, VA is "ON" for July 30-31, 2018.  Rehearsals are free and open to the public.  However, the best time to watch full ensemble rehearsals will be Momday evening starting approximately 6:30 PM and concluding approximately 9:00 PM at the stadium.

I would like to thank all who helped make this a reality.  I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate your efforts and communications during this time and look forward to seeing all of you on Monday evening as we experience what it takes to be one of the best of the best in the marching arts activity.

Thanks again,
Paul Westray
Edited by Old Corps Guy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Old Corps Guy said:
We have just received official word that the Blue Devils visit to Woodgrove High School in Purcellville, VA is "ON" for July 30-31, 2018.  Rehearsals are free and open to the public.  However, the best time to watch full ensemble rehearsals will be during the evening starting approximately 6:30 PM and concluding approximately 9:00 PM at the stadium.

I would like to thank all who helped make this a reality.  I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate your efforts and communications during this time and look forward to seeing all of you on Monday evening as we experience what it takes to be one of the best of the best in the marching arts activity.

Thanks again,
Paul Westray

Thank you Paul! 

27 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Hmmm?  Teaching Cappybara moves one to retire.....?????:laughing:

Nope, he just moved to Florida and is now teaching at a high school there :tounge2: