Brass Arrangements Sound the Same

23 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Any complaints about bulges you wanna add in there?

sure... I still don't like the appearance of any corps that looks like they are getting ready to perform in a ballet (and I don't mean ballet sacra, or for martha, etc.)

Edited by dcibrando

4 minutes ago, dcibrando said:

sure... I still don't like the appearance of any corps that looks like they are getting ready to perform in a ballet (and I don't mean ballet sacra, or for martha, etc.)

I’d like to know what type of ballets you watch that have anything that looks like the uniforms on the field 

• Like 2

the reason some of the arrangements are so pieced together now adays is so they have time to do all the dancing and prancing

Need a Godwin's Law type of name for this.  Rudolph's law? Any time the name of a reindeer comes up in a DCI discussion, it's automatically derailed?

Mike

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

There are at least four corps (Crown, Cavaliers, Boston, Colts) using the amp-the-whole-corps mic array this season.  I think that is more than last year.

interesting! They are doing the thing that Phantom did last year? Mics every 10 yard lines?

2 minutes ago, tedrick said:

interesting! They are doing the thing that Phantom did last year? Mics every 10 yard lines?

Yes.

And that is not the only way to sneak some amplified brass into the mix.  Anyone with a wireless mic on their horn can be dialed in at any time during the show.

28 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Need a Godwin's Law type of name for this.  Rudolph's law? Any time the name of a reindeer comes up in a DCI discussion, it's automatically derailed?

Mike

GET OFF THEIR LAWN!!  :thumbup:

On 6/27/2018 at 9:49 AM, cixelsyd said:

There are at least four corps (Crown, Cavaliers, Boston, Colts) using the amp-the-whole-corps mic array this season.  I think that is more than last year.

Cavaliers are micing soloist.  They were against the whole micing the whole corps thing last year. I'm surprised that they are micing more this year.

Edited by jjeffeory
I was corrected.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Cavaliers and Crown aren't micing the whole corps. They're just loud.  I doubt Boston and Colts are either.

Cavaliers are micing soloist.  That's it.  They were against the whole micing the whole corps thing last year. I doubt they have changed their stance.

then what are the mic's every 10 yards apart and 10 feet into the air from 30-30 yard lines pointing out on to the field for? (both cavies and colts had this set up)  What sound are they picking up.  I was at the whitewater show this past weekend sitting in row 17 right in front of one of the speakers, and i can assure you the whole corps proper was being picked up by these mics and was blasting out of the speakers. This was the case for the Colts, Cavaliers,  and at times Boston.

Edited by brians

26 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Cavaliers and Crown aren't micing the whole corps. They're just loud.  I doubt Boston and Colts are either.

Cavaliers are micing soloist.  That's it.  They were against the whole micing the whole corps thing last year. I doubt they have changed their stance.

When I saw Cavaliers last year, they certainly appeared to be miking the whole corps (via sideline microphones) at some key moments.

25 minutes ago, brians said:

then what are the mic's every 10 yards apart and 10 feet into the air from 30-30 yard lines pointing out on to the field for? (both cavies and colts had this set up)  What sound are they picking up.  I was at the whitewater show this past weekend sitting in row 17 right in front of one of the speakers, and i can assure you the whole corps proper was being picked up by these mics and was blasting out of the speakers. This was the case for the Colts, Cavaliers,  and at times Boston.

I dunno. I didn't seem them, so maybe something added? I'll keep a lookout for them.

Looks like for Colt, they're being used when there is the singing mix, so that the vocals and the hornline are blended together.  So, they're being used during parts of the show, but not the entire show.  That sucks.

Edited by jjeffeory