Heated 10-15 Competition

2 hours ago, Sanguinarian22 said:

There has been a lot of talk about these spots on many threads and I figured it would be fun to open up a dialogue on it. 

The competition between the corps in these spots is extremely fierce this year, more so than most years in my opinion. I believe we are going to see a lot of shuffling between corps in these positions and we will have to continuously reevaluate just who will end up in the top 12 this year! 

I wasn't sure if it was THAT much more competitive than last year.  So, I did a side-to-side and it looks a little bit more inconsistent, but the difference is hard to quantify.

36280424_10156018974454270_7878048774914

The differences:

• Slightly lower spread from 9 to 15, but from 10 to 15, it's about the same
  • The rise of Mandarins
  • The Troopers haven't competed yet
  • Colts in the mix.
  • The decline of Madison

It may take a few weeks to sort out, but that's why this part of the season is so exciting.

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

now for the current rankings, as a wise man with a heavy Jersey accent once told me before a big show:

neighborhoods will develop as the year goes on. But you always have that group or two that truly catches fire late and shakes everything up.

The example he loved to give was Boston 2000. Sitting what maybe 8th after Allentown? A week late, prime time live. Boston 16 could qualify recently too and there are tons of others historically

Just to echo the other side of the table, think about Bluecoats 2007. First time in their history they beat Blue Devils ever, and around 4th of July I thought that would be their first year to medal! Then, 7th.

It's a long season for a reason. 

1 hour ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

. . .but I've made this argument before, and have been shouted down. I'm in the minority on this one. I still think I'm right, but I know I'm outvoted.

Think of it WGI starts scholastic and independent world drums at 5 and goes till like 11. No complaints with 30 groups and several intermissions. 

7 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

I wasn't sure if it was THAT much more competitive than last year.  So, I did a side-to-side and it looks a little bit more inconsistent, but the difference is hard to quantify.

36280424_10156018974454270_7878048774914

The differences:

• Slightly lower spread from 9 to 15, but from 10 to 15, it's about the same
  • The rise of Mandarins
  • The Troopers haven't competed yet
  • Colts in the mix.
  • The decline of Madison

It may take a few weeks to sort out, but that's why this part of the season is so exciting.

Thanks for this, very cool! The biggest thing I notice is the tighter spread and there being one more corps in the grouping this year compared to last. 

2 hours ago, Sanguinarian22 said:

Oregon Crusaders: Another corps that we have yet to see that I believe can shake things up even more this season. 

I've seen some snippets of OC's show and it is really starting to grow on me now that I've seen some props on the field and an increase in overall production.  Don't know if they'll be in finals contention, but I wouldn't count them out for the 15th spot.  They are always at a competitive disadvantage though, because their first judged show isn't until 7/6.

Just now, BlueStainGlass said:

Think of it WGI starts scholastic and independent world drums at 5 and goes till like 11. No complaints with 30 groups and several intermissions. 

another example of comparing drum corps to winter indoor Dayton version.

Hey, we were here first.

12 minutes ago, ouooga said:

Just to echo the other side of the table, think about Bluecoats 2007. First time in their history they beat Blue Devils ever, and around 4th of July I thought that would be their first year to medal! Then, 7th.

It's a long season for a reason. 

Crossmen 91 beat or tied BD and Cadets at Allentown...7th

• Like 1