Pittsburgh, PA - June 28, 2018

17 minutes ago, shawn craig said:

Excited to see how Spirit scores tonight. I saw an earlier video, incomplete show and no uniforms,  but I liked what was on the field.

I saw their dress rehearsal video.  the show looks good,  if they can clean it up they can move up this year.  looks like a good vehicle

• Like 5

4 hours ago, snare_guy_83 said:

Ugh, partial panels...

:thumbdown:

Yup. Partial panels signify just partial values to the scores/ spreads. outcomes, imo. It is what it is.. its good to know that DCI voted to drop these half azz size, partial judging panels,, and next season DCI will match the 100% commitment of the kids to their effort with full judging panels only at all DCI competition shows. With show performances now so diverse, more complex, more expansive, faster in velocity, larger in numbers of competitors on the field, and so forth, the idea that DCI/ show sponsors think its appropriate to have fewer judges judging now than in early season competition than in the 70's/ 80's/ 90's, .. and still have these half azz sized, partial panel judging scores still taken seriously by most people now, seems a bit naive and silly to me.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BRASSO said:

Yup. Partial panels signify just partial values to the scores/ spreads. outcomes, imo. It is what it is.. its good to know that DCI voted to drop these half azz , 50% commitments to the 100% efforts the Corps and marchers are providing, and next season DCI will match the 100% commitment of the kids to their efforst with full judging panels only at all DCI competition shows..

Any idea [at least this year] how many shows are NOT all DCI?  I would guess few, but a bit lazy to check the tour schedule. It will certainly be appreciated next year!!

29 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Yup. Partial panels signify just partial values to the scores/ spreads. outcomes, imo. I

Exactly. Cavaliers went up 0.4 in each GE, VA, Brass, and MA from their previous scores.

So if you increased VP, CG, and Percussion by 0.4 as well their total score would have been 73.8, not the 74.0 they got.

7 hours ago, snare_guy_83 said:

Ugh, partial panels...

:thumbdown:

I agree with your feelings regarding partial panels. For me, I was interested in seeing how close Boston Crusaders get to Blue Coats and how close Cadets get to Boston Crusaders. I'm thinking that as the season progresses we will see some moments where BAC tops Cavies and I'm thinking Cavies might pester one of the top three a bit, so proximity to Blue Coats would be interesting. I'm also expecting Cadets to be a thorn in the side as the season progresses. I was also hoping to get a better gauge on what I am assuming will be Madison's improvement. I know Madison will be a corps I will have to see live to determine what I think. Some folks seem to think the show has some potential, but for many, it may the most controversial show of the season and from what I can gather from major Madison fans and alums, a major disappointment. I have seen a video of portions of the show, but it is a terrible recording. I have hopes for Spirit this evening, and while I would love to see Pioneer get a better score, it probably will not happen. Most years I only see Pioneer in Allentown and in Indy, so they are about as good as they will get at that point, and while I usually do not disagree with placements, I do believe they are often scored lower than they deserve.Now while I think the placements will be pretty predictable: Bloo, BAC, Cadets, Madison, Spirit, and Pioneer, partial panels only give a glimpse, not the full picture.

12 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I agree with your feelings regarding partial panels. For me, I was interested in seeing how close Boston Crusaders get to Blue Coats and how close Cadets get to Boston Crusaders. I'm thinking that as the season progresses we will see some moments where BAC tops Cavies and I'm thinking Cavies might pester one of the top three a bit, so proximity to Blue Coats would be interesting. I'm also expecting Cadets to be a thorn in the side as the season progresses. I was also hoping to get a better gauge on what I am assuming will be Madison's improvement. I know Madison will be a corps I will have to see live to determine what I think. Some folks seem to think the show has some potential, but for many, it may the most controversial show of the season and from what I can gather from major Madison fans and alums, a major disappointment. I have seen a video of portions of the show, but it is a terrible recording. I have hopes for Spirit this evening, and while I would love to see Pioneer get a better score, it probably will not happen. Most years I only see Pioneer in Allentown and in Indy, so they are about as good as they will get at that point, and while I usually do not disagree with placements, I do believe they are often scored lower than they deserve.Now while I think the placements will be pretty predictable: Bloo, BAC, Cadets, Madison, Spirit, and Pioneer, partial panels only give a glimpse, not the full picture.

yes, beautiful roses come with thorns.

7 hours ago, mfrontz said:

According to their Facebook events page, the United States Marine Drum and Bugle Corps, 'The Commandant's Own,' will be at the show tonight.

USMDBC is a presenting sponsor for the 3 Bluecoats shows (Akron, Pittsburgh,Massillon) and also for the "True Bloo" videos this year.  The will be doing the encore tonight.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, xandandl said:

yes, beautiful roses come with thorns.

I think Cadets could get close or overtake Boston. They have things to fix and much to clean but it’s possible.