Best and Worst Uniforms of 2018

33 minutes ago, NCWVUFAN said:

Best: Bluecoats, only because they fit their show so well.

Yes, I think that has been the idea behind each of the last 3 shows.  The uniform/costume must "fit" the show.  And this year they have nailed it.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, dans said:

For the second year in a row SCV has the most absolute horrid uniforms in Drum Corps. I like the Bluecots look and the Cadets have a cool appearance from the field.

...and for the 2nd year in a row the judges don’t care and have both of the SC organization’s WC and OC Corps (whose new unis are also very polarizing) at the top of the activity in their respective classes as of today.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCWVUFAN said:

There seems to be a trend towards ugly uniforms the last few years... Corps' uniform designers need to do some soul searching for some better looks in the future.

or are you saying between the lines that corps may really need to look for some better uniform designers if at all?

Just look at how some of these so called designers dress themselves!

1 hour ago, NCWVUFAN said:

Best: Bluecoats, only because they fit their show so well.

Worst: Crown, just plain hideous.

There seems to be a trend towards ugly uniforms the last few years, I can't say I truely like any corps look this year. I thought Crown had a good look last year and Bloo looks pretty good this year. Corps' uniform designers need to do some soul searching for some better looks in the future.

Agree about Bloo....... as far as other looks, Subjective...and there were some pretty hideous uniforms back in the day too. Some who post here wore them with pride also...I guess we will always have the hits and misses

Edited by GUARDLING

I'm ok with the new 'costumes', but also am a sucker for more traditional uniforms.

Hate: Boston, Madison, Phantom

Love: Crossmen, Colts, Mandarins,  and CADETS

I'm not sold on the SVC top, but I love their pants.  I think a misshaped ausie would look great with that uniform tbh.

Edited by goodmello

My thoughts which matter for nothing!  LOL.

Gold medal Unis:  SCV   They read very well on the field, work within the show concept, fashion forward and current, love the V and the emblem on the front to still draw back to Vanguard   

Silver Medal: Cavies   Love how they adjust as uni as the show changes    Last hornline look almost feels like a nod back to the blouses that some corps wore in days gone by    

Bronze Medal: The Academy   Great mix of Tradition and trend   They feel like the Academy, but with a nod to the current show    

honorable mention: spirit, cadets, troopers, Oregon Cru, River City. 

• Like 1

Seen on the field:   (Clifton show)      'Coats, Crown, Boston, Cadets, Spirit

Seen only in  the movie theater or on video:        SCV, Devils, Cavies, Phantom, Blue Stars

'Coats:  Very very good uniform/costumes.  Very innovative.  Seersucker suits with porkpie hats, in various blends of light blue and off white with various patterns or no patterns that vary throughout the drum and hornline completely randomly.  Off white berets for drums.  The pit is dressed in all black turtlenecks with berets, and wearing sunglasses. They probably snap their fingers when they're not doing anything else. The whole thing might seem some sort of cliche of a fictional 50's jazz scene milieu, but it doesn't bug me in the least, because, it's extremely well done show-biz.  Brilliant.  Guard is mostly in mauve, and the drum shells are the same mauve color. Again brilliant.  They are selling the hell out of their whole package.  This is the show to beat this year.  This is the best show out of their last three by far. They seem to have cannily chosen to out-Blue-Devil the Blue Devils style-wise, and I think they have cannily succeeded.  Best

Boston:  These guys are still on a terrific tear this year!  Wow!  If they're allowed to, they really should jump another place or two in the placement hierarchy.  Seeing them immediately follow 'Coats at the Clifton show was  just wonderful; they more than held their own,  another verification of how good they have gotten.  Uniforms/costumes:  -this is the most audacious costume choice this year that actually does work.   The whole musical corps wears  a form-fitting outfit of purple and yellow that leaves their shoulders and arms completely bare. No headgear. It works very well for the show.

Cadets:   Gotta be the most bizarre uniform design ever- they sorta look like frosted and decorated marching cookies with matching shakos and plumes, except... could they be on acid or ecstacsy?  Worst

Crown:   Hard to figure what they're doing this year- the outfits seem to portray then as bugs, with bug abdomens below their waists

SCV:   They have been my absolute favorite corps for decades, but in the last few year they have forsworn their vaunted classicism in pursuit of the gold.  For shame.  What's become of them? This year looks as dreary as last year.  Uniforms included.  WTF?  

BD:  They are what they are. But do they always have to be the leader and win even when they are as routine and mediocre as they are this year.

Cavies:  They are back on track on all fronts.

Phantom:   I guess the hoods are alright

Blue Stars:  no comment

• Like 1

is this when aspiring designers should start submitting their proposals to corps management to plant seeds and possibilities for next season?

Sometimes waiting for the Fall is too late when staffs are in discussion on tour, etc.