Lawrence, MA - July 1, 2018

Final thoughts from tonight:

1. Spirit of Atlanta has a great opening! If the rest of the show can be tweaked to resemble that feeling, they will be in good shape. 

2. I thought the cadets would have been closer in score to Boston. Their brass sounded very good. But I do think they had some speaker issues.  Just happy they are moving on from a tough offseason for the organization. 

3. Boston has a good show that is smart. Features a lot of guard and percussion up front to highlight their strengths.  Not as fun for the audience as last year’s show but really strong. They are better than last year and with a harder show, but moving up will be as tough as was predicted in the preseason. 

4. Crown’s show was one I did not like on video and it was really good in person.  They were noticeably not clean with their drill work and with guard at times, more than other corps. I think they gain on some of those ahead when they get their stuff cleaned up. 

5. The hype is real. Bluecoats have a real shot at winning it all this year.  They had the biggest audience reaction of the night.  They were clearly far ahead of crown and Boston for a complete package tonight.  Hats off to them! 

Edited by Den8uml
  • Like 9

44 minutes ago, Ghost said:

The 1.2 you mentioned is dam close to how far behind CC was (6th) when they won.

You're right, but I really doubt Bloo will top both SCV and BD in guard and brass. Crown was either 1st or 2nd in every caption except percussion, Bloo can very conceivably end up being 3rd (guard) or 4th (brass) in a few captions. Idk, Bloo has a great show in GE once again but I just don't think they're strong enough in the individual captions to win it. 

These eastern shows almost certainly have inflated scores this year. I'm very confident Bloo will be wearing a medal this year, but I just don't think it'll be gold. 

Edited by Cappybara

6 minutes ago, Den8uml said:

They are better than last year and with a harder show, but moving up will be as tough as was predicted in the preseason.  

Boston gained .4 on the Bluecoats tonight.  They started the season 3 points behind, but are 2.2 back.  This doesn't mean they will pass the Bluecoats, but it's just more excitement that is being shown so far this year by many corps within their current groupings.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Yeah you have to imagine that if they’re 3rd here, they’re going to be atleast 5th with the west coast corps factored in and there’s a good chance they may even end up behind Cavies percussion too. That’s going to really affect them because of the way the scoring system works. Judges tend to make sure corps have about a 0.2 spread between consecutive corps unless they really believe a corps is either equal or really a step below another one. If that happens, Bloo could end up with a 1.2 point deficit from percussion alone from the first place corps in percussion

May end up behind Cavies Percussion??? Cavies drums have already beaten both Crown and Boston recently and beat Bloo by .5 in their only head to head. As of right now it’s almost a given.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, GREENBLUE said:

May end up behind Cavies Percussion??? Cavies drums have already beaten both Crown and Boston recently and beat Bloo by .5 in their only head to head. As of right now it’s almost a given.

Didn't mean to offend, I haven't been microanalysing recaps at every competition 

Looking at Recaps, both GE judges have Boston maxing out.

Just now, Cappybara said:

Didn't mean to offend, I haven't been microanalysing recaps at every competition 

Just now, Cappybara said:

Wow. Not really offended. But it seems your dislike or dismissive attitude of the Cavaliers from recent years has carried over into this season. Just an observation.

1 minute ago, GREENBLUE said:

Then, like all corps, you put more GE in.  As the season progresses and the mm are more comfortable with the meat and potatoes of the show, the staff will add new stuff for the mm to work on.

8 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

On July 1st ?  Thats certainly an interesting assessment... especially given the fact that several of these Corps will  adding important elements to their shows between July 1st and Championships over a month away.  Relax.. the GE judges judged the July 1st  performances with all these Corps... not the Season's.... lol

Edited by BRASSO

3 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

especially given the fact that several of these Corps will  adding important elements to their shows between July 1st and Championships weeks away. 

Do we have an echo in here?