Lawrence, MA - July 1, 2018

This year it seems very clear they are taking a new approach to the evolution of their show. With down side up, they knew they had the concept totally nailed, so they ran out to a big lead and then held everyone off at the end.

Last year, the nature of the drill design was so specific that it made it almost impossible to change throughout the season. Too much follow the leader. And the stage basically ruled out almost any significant change to drill design.

This year the show seems to be designed to change and layer as the season moves on. 

I think it will be hard to beat Bluecoats in GE, and they won’t finish far out of the top spot in any single caption. The only show that I think has a chance to beat them is SCV. I don’t think Cavaliers’ show design is in the same league as the top four, and I don’t think their arrangements are musical enough to beat any of the top four in brass. If Crown evolves their show, especially the last third, they could clean their way to a medal. But I definitely don’t think it will be at Bluecoats’ expense. Could well be BD that gets nipped for the Bronze at the end.

4 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

This year it seems very clear they are taking a new approach to the evolution of their show. With down side up, they knew they had the concept totally nailed, so they ran out to a big lead and then held everyone off at the end.

Last year, the nature of the drill design was so specific that it made it almost impossible to change throughout the season. Too much follow the leader. And the stage basically ruled out almost any significant change to drill design.

This year the show seems to be designed to change and layer as the season moves on. 

I think it will be hard to beat Bluecoats in GE, and they won’t finish far out of the top spot in any single caption. The only show that I think has a chance to beat them is SCV. I don’t think Cavaliers’ show design is in the same league as the top four, and I don’t think their arrangements are musical enough to beat any of the top four in brass. If Crown evolves their show, especially the last third, they could clean their way to a medal. But I definitely don’t think it will be at Bluecoats’ expense. Could well be BD that gets nipped for the Bronze at the end.

Thats exactly my take on this season so far, Bloo's drums the only caption leaving the door open for another corp to drop in, and thats a big if because Bloo's drums are playing a very hard book pretty clean in most spots, pit has some crowding/phasing issues......clean clean, clean!

36 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

. As a few have said on here, nobody layers a show like Crown does. Next.

Except BD. 2015 and 2017 come to mind in particular 

• Like 3

Sorry

On 7/1/2018 at 8:20 PM, GeorgiaPitMom said:

Thank you for the pictures!! 

Sorry phone died after I took that :(

On 7/1/2018 at 10:03 PM, cfirwin3 said:

I think we just have fewer people from here attending these northeastern shows.

Phone died sorry

16 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Except BD. 2015 and 2017 come to mind in particular 

Crowns show in 2015 went from hated to loved after layering. I'd say that would win over the layering discussion of 2015, regardless of what the judges said on a piece of paper. Lol.

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

Crowns show in 2015 went from hated to loved after layering. I'd say that would win over the layering discussion of 2015, regardless of what the judges said on a piece of paper. Lol.

“Regardless of what the judges said on a piece of paper” is a very interesting way of trying to reduce and downplay the competitive aspect of this activity 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Cappybara said:

“Regardless of what the judges said on a piece of paper” is a very interesting way of trying to reduce and downplay the competitive aspect of this activity 

Believe it or not, most of the rewards from marching drumcorps have little to do with rings, trophies, or placements.   You remember screaming crowds far longer. 

• Like 1