Riverside, CA - July 1, 2018

10 minutes ago, brassboy said:

Mandarins won't be at Denver this year. They're doing the St. Louis regional route instead.

Dag nab it, I thought they were returning

12 minutes ago, NCWVUFAN said:

BD's shows have little to do with crowd appeal, they design for scoresheets.

Not sure if you've watched BD360's videos before, but those videos, at least to me, show that this is just a falsehood spread by those who tend not to enjoy BD's show design. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NeutralNovice said:

I both agree and disagree.  Some people love the "underdog" story while others simply felt that SCV, on its own merits, has an absolutely fantastic beast of a show.

At Stanford, I don't ever remember Mandarins getting a jump to your feet standing ovation in my history of watching them there.  But they have an awesome show and they deserved it.

BD is great but it just wasn't "jump to your feet great." Coming on after a show like SCV is a difficult task.  Same thing for some shows that performed after Mandarins-they just felt lackluster in comparison.

Also, I find it rather unbecoming when people try to downplay the success of abother team/corps.  I've done that myself a few times and I'm definitely not proud of it.

I think SCV has the better show this year, but I'd like to just point out that a more entertaining show doesn't necessarily mean a better one. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I think SCV has the better show this year, but I'd like to just point out that a more entertaining show doesn't necessarily mean a better one. 

I totally get it.  But for the general audience, I would imagine that, at each respective tier, a more entertaining show will likely garner an enthusiastic standing ovation rather than a mild one.

I just find it kind of unfair when people automatically downplay "their team's" lower placement regardless of metric (scores or standing Os).  They make it sound like the only reason a team got an enthusiastic reaction was because their team is hated for their previous success; thus, downplaying the winning team's success undeservedly so.

And again, I'm guilty of that as well but I try not to do that!

1 minute ago, NeutralNovice said:

I totally get it.  But for the general audience, I would imagine that, at each respective tier, a more entertaining show will likely garner an enthusiastic standing ovation rather than a mild one.

I understand, I'm just making sure that the level of audience reaction isn't getting conflated with quality of the show, which is something that is often done. 

Seems like we're both focusing on two different things at hand haha. I get what you're saying though!

1 hour ago, NeutralNovice said:

I both agree and disagree.  Some people love the "underdog" story while others simply felt that SCV, on its own merits, has an absolutely fantastic beast of a show.

At Stanford, I don't ever remember Mandarins getting a jump to your feet standing ovation in my history of watching them there.  But they have an awesome show and they deserved it.

BD is great but it just wasn't "jump to your feet great." Coming on after a show like SCV is a difficult task.  Same thing for some shows that performed after Mandarins-they just felt lackluster in comparison.

Also, I find it rather unbecoming when people try to downplay the success of abother team/corps.  I've done that myself a few times and I'm definitely not proud of it.

Definitely giving you a like cause you make some valid points. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts as the season progresses. 

• Like 1

As an SCV alum who marched two “early summer powerhouse” years (i.e., where the corps would clean everyone’s clock early on and all summer long but lose steam those last few days and fail to close the deal due to dumb mistakes or whatever) my old fears of “can SC sustain it...” never seem to go away. My spider sense is that this year they can. GR’s corps could get really angry and “open a can of whoop a—“ when required, yes, but it was always...controlled...within a box...preserve the image. This year fire, swagger and downright fury have unabashedly been unleashed; if GR were alive today I’m not sure he’d agree with the “utterly in your face” approach (for example, the way the acrobatic horn player struts on the platform after their last backflip at the end drum solo, as the crowd goes wild) but that is the world now. I’m probably going to catch a lot of heat for this but so what— this year’s production to me is like “Star ‘93: Part II— This Time It’s Personal...!!!” (Said in that “Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!” Monster Truck event announcer voice.) Just a perception from this old phart. 

Edited by TRacer
  • Like 5

25 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I understand, I'm just making sure that the level of audience reaction isn't getting conflated with quality of the show, which is something that is often done. 

Seems like we're both focusing on two different things at hand haha. I get what you're saying though!

It's late and I'm tired sorry lol!  I believe we are for the most part agreeing with each other haha