Top 3 Trivia

5 hours ago, BigW said:

You did provide a piece of the pie with the 1966 addition of a bunch of the Gay Blades, Fran. Those guys were as good as you could get back then, that much I know. Are there any recordings or film of them around?

Good question about the Carver footage.

I saw a clip of them in a parade along with several other corps... might have been the Macy's parade from way back in the day.  But I don't remember who posted that video.

Check Fleetwood sales for Carver? Might be on Northeastern champs cds but not at home to check my copy

4 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Good question about the Carver footage.

I saw a clip of them in a parade along with several other corps... might have been the Macy's parade from way back in the day.  But I don't remember who posted that video.

That parade clip was from 1959

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Check Fleetwood sales for Carver? Might be on Northeastern champs cds but not at home to check my copy

seen some stuff on EBay too

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

They were on the Northeast Championship record in 62 ... WO in 63 and Carnegie Hall in 64

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

Since Andy's here, and Jeff mentioned EBay, maybe Andy can help with this, Fran was stumped.

There was a button for sale on EBay, white background blue for the rest.

The top of the button read "GAY BLADES", the middle had the top hat, cane, and gloves logo, and the bottom read "20/4".

The seller didn't know what he had, I had to tell him. Bidding was hot for a small button. I dropped out after it went over 10-15 bucks.

Any idea what the 20/4 means?

Edited by BigW

55 minutes ago, ajlisko said:

They were on the Northeast Championship record in 62 ... WO in 63 and Carnegie Hall in 64

Found my copy of NE 62 aka Drums Along the Riverside. Now why the hades I only have volume 1 (Hurrcs, Amboy Dukes, Carver, Marksmen) and not volume 2 (Criterions, Jersey Devils, CT Yankees, Sun)? 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 hour ago, BigW said:

Since Andy's here, and Jeff mentioned EBay, maybe Andy can help with this, Fran was stumped.

There was a button for sale on EBay, white background blue for the rest.

The top of the button read "GAY BLADES", the middle had the top hat, cane, and gloves logo, and the bottom read "20/4".

The seller didn't know what he had, I had to tell him. Bidding was hot for a small button. I dropped out after it went over 10-15 bucks.

Any idea what the 20/4 means?

If I recall correctly, the Gay Blades were some type of WWII squadron - you'll have to look it up on Wikipedia

Here is a real guess googling "all black army units". 10th Cavalry Regiment/4th Infantry Division which goes back from "Buffalo Soldiers" days to at least WWII.

Kind of interested in this area as my dad was in a formerly all black outfit when the army integrated. About 2 dozen whites and 300 or so blacks. Helluva change for a teenager from a semi rural area.

Edited by JimF-LowBari