East Coast Bias?

30 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Crown just outscored SCV from last night. 

I’ve got eyes and ears. Head to head SCV is 1.5-2 points better. If not more. 

I should learn from prior experience not to look at scores until San Antonio. But of course I do. :-) 

I noticed that too. People always say the West Coast inflates their scores but I think it's the opposite.

• Like 1

Midwest inflation has been occurring for a few years now, people are just starting to realize it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I believe the Bluecoats, Crown, Boston and the Cavaliers are all better Drum Corps than they were last season. I believe both SCV and BD are on par with last year's BD and SCV Corps. At the moment I do not believe there is this huge gap between the West Coast Corps and the rest of the country's Corps as I've seen writtewn on here on more than a few occasions so far this season. I do not believe there is either inflation nor deflation of scores based upon geographical zip codes, nor judge biases. The Head to Head matchups will be the key determinative on these things soon.... as they ALWAYS are.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Midwest inflation has been occurring for a few years now, people are just starting to realize it. 

I don’t see Midwest inflation this year. Case and point. BAC judged in Boston tonight a point higher than Cavs in La Crosse, WI. Put them on the same field tomorrow with the same panel and you’ll likely get the same result as every head to head matchup for over 5 years. 

Same situation last year as PR, Cavs, Scouts,Crossmen toured Midwest early together. Cavs had to get head to head with Bloo, Crown, BAC, Cadets later in July to pull their score up. 

I know it’s an inexsct science, but BAC is within 0.15 of Blue Devils and Crown outscored SCV. 

To the poster who asked if my opinion was educated. Well... I’ve been following Corps for 40+ years and have always heard about “West Coast bias” . I just believe it has flipped in 2018. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

I don’t see Midwest inflation this year.

Well... I’ve been following Corps for 40+ years and have always heard about “West Coast bias” . I just believe it has flipped in 2018. 

You have me extremely confused 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

You have me extremely confused 

The simple thesis is this. 

In 2018, the East coast contest are scoring high, the Midwest contests are scoring low, and the West Coast contests are scoring about right. And there's ample comparative evidence to make that claim. 

Evidence: Carolina Crown outscored Santa Clara Vanguard - If you have eyes and ears you know better. 
Evidence: Boston Crusaders are withing 0.15 of the Blue Devils - If you have eyes and ears you know better. 
Evidence: Cavaliers vs. BAC head to head has been all Cavaliers for over 5 years now ( look it up...because I did the other day)...and after beating them head to head a week ago, they now trail them in non head to head scoring. 

I totally get this is an inexact and regional science ( judging). 

My primary thesis was that instead of the traditional cry that the "West Coast is scoring high", in 2018 I believe the East Coast is scoring high. 

But it doesn't really matter...they all get on the same field eventually. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, PopcornEater1963 said:

The simple thesis is this. 

In 2018, the East coast contest are scoring high, the Midwest contests are scoring low, and the West Coast contests are scoring about right. And there's ample comparative evidence to make that claim. 

Evidence: Carolina Crown outscored Santa Clara Vanguard - If you have eyes and ears you know better. 
Evidence: Boston Crusaders are withing 0.15 of the Blue Devils - If you have eyes and ears you know better. 
Evidence: Cavaliers vs. BAC head to head has been all Cavaliers for over 5 years now ( look it up...because I did the other day)...and after beating them head to head a week ago, they now trail them in non head to head scoring. 

I totally get this is an inexact and regional science ( judging). 

My primary thesis was that instead of the traditional cry that the "West Coast is scoring high", in 2018 I believe the East Coast is scoring high. 

But it doesn't really matter...they all get on the same field eventually. 

Ah I see the point of confusion. I was treating the midwest and east coast shows as one entity while you are not. I haven't looked closely at midwest vs east coast shows closely so I will take your word for it! 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

I don’t see Midwest inflation this year. Case and point. BAC judged in Boston tonight a point higher than Cavs in La Crosse, WI. Put them on the same field tomorrow with the same panel and you’ll likely get the same result as every head to head matchup for over 5 years. 

Same situation last year as PR, Cavs, Scouts,Crossmen toured Midwest early together. Cavs had to get head to head with Bloo, Crown, BAC, Cadets later in July to pull their score up. 

I know it’s an inexsct science, but BAC is within 0.15 of Blue Devils and Crown outscored SCV. 

Tonite's West Coast scores should be in pretty soon  for those who can't help themselves but compare scores from around the country and then get all up in arms over them, or giddy as a child depending on the scores from 1,000-  3,000 miles away with different mix of Corps, judges, weather conditions, performance levels, field conditions, and dozen of other variables that more sensible people tell us not to engage in... But like an addict, we are addicted to doing impossible score comparisons, when the scores come in nightly from different time zones.

So... hold on to tonites score comparison's until we get the West Coast scores in an hour or less. This way we can compare Boston with the Blue Devils better, the Cavaliers with the Blue Devils better, Bluecoats with SCV better, and Crown with BD, SCV,  better... or maybe Spirit of Atlanta and Mandarins... or.... pick the corps.... Until we get these remaining West Coast scores later this evening, we really won't know if there is inflation, deflation, or conflagulation going on when we do our score comparison's when the Corps havn't even competed head to head yet and are still thousands of miles apart still. ( lol!). The best fun is not engaging in the score comparisons. its watching people take these scores from thousands of miles apart so seriously... lol!. Thats the fun part here, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2