East Coast Bias?

Does the reduced judging panels mostly in the mid-west and east coast play into this? Full size panels yield more input for the corps to dissect and work into their practice routines. Seems that is the real bias, more input early in the season. I understand this will be corrected next year. Not taking anything away from SCV, BD or Mandarins they will work just as hard regardless of the amount of input and be the best they can be always. I do however think the added input does help some of the west's open class corps.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Does the reduced judging panels mostly in the mid-west and east coast play into this? Full size panels yield more input for the corps to dissect and work into their practice routines. Seems that is the real bias, more input early in the season. I understand this will be corrected next year. Not taking anything away from SCV, BD or Mandarins they will work just as hard regardless of the amount of input and be the best they can be always. I do however think the added input does help some of the west's open class corps.

Seems unlikely, given that the most recent shows across the board (that everyone is complaining about) were full-panel shows.

• Like 1

Good Point I didn't check that and it's something that will be fixed next year.

When fans like to look at the variables that might effect the scores, weather naturally has to be figured in too... of course.

Whats the weather like at practices ? Is it hot and humid ? Or is it temperate and free of humidity for the most part ?

For the shows themselves, whats the weather like ?. Are the Corps performing in comparatively pleasant weather conditions ? Or is it windy  ? Or hot ? Or very humid ? or some combination, thereof ?  We do know that weather conditions can naturally effect athletes performances, team performances when one team tends to play games indoors and/ or in pleasant weather conditions, and other teams wills are tested performing games in less than ideal weather conditions in the early going. Teams that play at home tend to do better than teams that have to go on the road to play their early season games too. We have history as our guide to show both the positive and negative effects on performance by weather related and travel related early season performances. So its not conjective here on the effects of these.

The DCI  Regionals, of course, will be indoors, in A/C environments. So won't the Championships in Indy. So if Corps are traveling a lot now in the early going, practicing and performing in unusually hot and humid conditions, these things will even out once the head to head competitions take place in neutral weather conditions where the weather outside will be no factor at all in any Corps scores/ placements.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Agreed they are all good points. I would add the size of the crowd, acoustics of the stadium and location of the press box are all factors that can affect the scoring.  

I was at a local circuit show in the Boston area in the summer of 1980. “Drum Corps News” was sold at the shows, and on occasion “Drum Corps World” was available. Both sold like hot cakes. One of the two had a headline about Blue Devils and 27th Lancers earning the same score on the same night, but in different shows. Rivalries were strong at that time, and often bitter. This was a time that if you said you liked Boston Crusaders, North Star, and 27th equally, you had three new sets of enemies. Boston Crusaders had no love for 27th, North Star resented 27th especially where a few of their members supposedly left to join 27th to go to the Olympics the previous winter. How true that was, I don’t know, there were lots of “alternative facts” back then. Lots of folks in the CYO Circuit never forgave 27th for the Reveries incident, if they actually knew the story, many Eastern Mass Ciruit folks thought 27th was snobby since they no longer competed in their shows. If they did, it was before I started following drum corps.  For the average fan, as long as 27th performed “Danny Boy,” all was right in the universe. I don’t remember who was on the field that day, but the arguments in the stands about the validity of comparing scores was heated. Bottom line, if you either loved 27th or hated Blue Devils, the scores meant the folks from Concord were going to crash and burn. If you did not love 27th, it was mere coincidence. If it was to show the two were evenly matched, it was correct. Blue Devils won CYO Nationals, 27th won DCI East, and while Blue Devils won finals, the top 4 that year were evenly matched.

I only remember “West Coast Inflation” being claimed in years where Cadets, Crown, or Bloo dominated the East Coast and scores were higher in the West. A poster a few weeks back made valid claims it goes back to the days I mentioned earlier. Since I was sure Crown would win in 2012, thought Cadets had a huge chance at winning both in the early season of 2013 and 2014, and was all Bloo in 2016, I’m sure I believed “West Coast inflation.” Now there’s East Coast inflation. 

Bottom line: scores are great for making informed predictions, but they are not an absolute science.

2 hours ago, BRASSO said:

When fans like to look at the variables that might effect the scores, weather naturally has to be figured in too... of course.

Whats the weather like at practices ? Is it hot and humid ? Or is it temperate and free of humidity for the most part ?

For the shows themselves, whats the weather like ?. Are the Corps performing in comparatively pleasant weather conditions ? Or is it windy  ? Or hot ? Or very humid ? or some combination, thereof ?  We do know that weather conditions can naturally effect athletes performances, team performances when one team tends to play games indoors and/ or in pleasant weather conditions, and other teams wills are tested performing games in less than ideal weather conditions in the early going. Teams that play at home tend to do better than teams that have to go on the road to play their early season games too. We have history as our guide to show both the positive and negative effects on performance by weather related and travel related early season performances. So its not conjective here on the effects of these.

The DCI  Regionals, of course, will be indoors, in A/C environments. So won't the Championships in Indy. So if Corps are traveling a lot now in the early going, practicing and performing in unusually hot and humid conditions, these things will even out once the head to head competitions take place in neutral weather conditions where the weather outside will be no factor at all in any Corps scores/ placements.

As an add to this; Boston rehearsed all afternoon in the eat and humidity on a synthetic turf field, which generally get much hotter than their surrounding areas.  Most MM's can attest to this.  Any corps rehearsing just prior to a performance is going to be affected by this and IMO have all slightly diminished performance.  I don't know what rehearsal sites the other competing corps had, good chance they were synthetic turf too.  If so, then all would balance out.  Later in the season as corps get deep into tour, these conditions have less of an impact.  Corps no doubt welcome enclosed stadiums like LOS.  That, I think, would enable corps to max out their performance.  So overall, at this point, the scores, the numbers themselves:  matter less than the placement and the spread.  In San Antonio the sorting begins for real.  Until then we can only guess and extrapolate and tie ourselves up in knots supposing and assuming who is doing better than someone else and where everyone sits in the rank and file.  We may see some positioning as corps do get to go head to head, but until everyone is together we won't know with any real evidence based guessing.  Right now it is looking to be tight at the top with potential for surprises.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Not to mention keeping horns in tune! 

3 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Not to mention keeping horns in tune! 

For sure... practice makes perfect.

Related image