The Beanpot, Lynn, MA July 2, 2018

Spirit has been in Nashua, NH, the past two days with 100+ heat indices so tonight sounds like a nice respite for them. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, xandandl said:

And here I presumed all this hot, tropical weather was something Chris Holland arranged for added ambience for S.O.S. 

(I saw him and Jim Cronin making extra phone calls and runs to replenish the water stations at Lawrence. Quite the inspiration to see a CEO's idea of "hands on" leadership meant lugging the cases and dollies just like all his other wonderful volunteers.)

I know the Cadets will be moving from Portsmouth, NH (yes, there were ocean breezes and a great band director making sure all was hospitable and helpful; great community turn out for run-throughs) to Portsmouth, RI overlook of Bristol. Cadets traditionally do their horn-sectionals there standing in the water along the campus shore. This year it will be extra special.

The forecast for Portsmouth, RI is 83 degrees, 10% chance of rain,  Cranston, 90 degrees with a 40% chance of thunderstorms. Not sure why there is such a difference in communities that are about 20 miles apart, driving, 10 as the crow flies.

usually when the corps are in New England, there can be iffy weather days. I know there have been scorchers and one year, maybe 2014, it was rainy and unseasonably cold.

Do they stay at Portsmouth Priory or Portsmouth High?

21 minutes ago, SOA Dad said:

Spirit has been in Nashua, NH, the past two days with 100+ heat indices so tonight sounds like a nice respite for them. 

Hope they are all handling the heat well

i was so impressed with SOA in Allentown 

you should be proud and excited!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Hope they are all handling the heat well

i was so impressed with SOA in Allentown 

you should be proud and excited!

Very proud - they are hanging in there with the heat. And amused by all the folks going ga-ga over their relative standing so far. Certainly pumped that they're doing better than last year, and enjoying the crowd reactions. But this is a marathon, not a sprint, and they just want to continue to work to put the best product they can on the field every performance, and however things turn out, they turn out. Honestly, if they could make top 15 that would be a huge, huge accomplishment and get them in front of thousands of fans in the theatres (paying dividends going forward). But the competition this year looks to be beyond insane. 

• Like 8

I know it has to be earned but there is something about having groups like Spirit and even Mandarins up there in the discussion.  Even seeing Cavies competing strong after a little hiatus is wonderful!  These are the guys that some us competed against back in the day.  They all have such rich histories and make the activity the great thing it is today.  Can't wait to see SOA live and get that first taste of cutting brass they're known for!  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SOA Dad said:

Very proud - they are hanging in there with the heat. And amused by all the folks going ga-ga over their relative standing so far. Certainly pumped that they're doing better than last year, and enjoying the crowd reactions. But this is a marathon, not a sprint, and they just want to continue to work to put the best product they can on the field every performance, and however things turn out, they turn out. Honestly, if they could make top 15 that would be a huge, huge accomplishment and get them in front of thousands of fans in the theatres (paying dividends going forward). But the competition this year looks to be beyond insane. 

Spirit is not just better than last year, there is more of a maturity too. There is a lot of work to be done, as is the case for everyone, but I would think too 15 is within reach.it will be a challenge, but it could happen.

• Like 1