The Beanpot, Lynn, MA July 2, 2018

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

Actually throughout the season last year I had their range 7-5 and they finished 7

i remain unimpressed with Cavaliers the past two years and feel the same this year, I just don’t talk about it much. The arranging just isn’t my thing 

Boston last year at this point was behind Cadets. As anyone following DCI knows once the judging community slots a corps it’s nearly impossible to move up

Thia year currently out of that set of corps in the following range st this time, the most likely finish in ()

Cadets  7-5 (7)

Boston 7-4 (6)

Cavaliers  7-4 (5)

Crown 4-3 (4)

SCV 4-3 (3)

BD 2-1 (2)

BC 1-2 (1)

but things can change, rapidly 

the biggest news this season will likely be in the 15-10 set of corps with one or two new finalist imo 

You know I am with you on Cavaliers. I just don’t like their show designs related to the type and amount of playing the corps does. This show is much better than last year for me but it still feels decidedly and purposefully unmusical.

I do think Boston is a kick ### corps. Would not be shocked to see them climb ahead of Crown this year. Just not a fan of Crowns show, though their technical skills are still top shelf.

Mandarins is this year’s wild card. It would be shocking to see them climb into the single digits. Probably not possible given how DCI scores things. Cadets is going to be a lot of moral support and deservedly so. Just don’t think they have the chops in brass or guard to stay out of third tier.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

This time last year, everyone had Bluecoats in top 3. 

This time last year Bluecoats had very thin competition, two show cancellations, and more areas of concern being discussed... particularly surrounding the ballad and the visual program.

This is a little different, having Crown in the picture night to night...

But we still suffer from the absence of the west coast man-eaters to compare.

As I said in another thread... If you can view Crown as being a contender, then obviously Bluecoats could easily and reasonably be viewed as a better one at this point (based on more than scores).

You can then say the same thing about Vanguard when answering for the Devils (as their situation appears to be a fairly decent mirror to Coats and Crown right now).

Either there is a mix of 4 (maybe 5) corps for the top 3... Or there is a secure margin for 1 (Vanguard or Bluecoats) or there is a race (at this early point) for 1 and 2 (Vanguard and Devils OR Bluecoats and Crown).  We won't really know the make-up of this until AT LEAST one group from each camp meets up to provide a reference.

But for Bluecoats... It's just not the same starting circumstances as last year.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cfirwin3 said:

This time last year Bluecoats had very thin competition, two show cancellations, and more areas of concern being discussed... particularly surrounding the ballad and the visual program.

As I said in another thread... If you can view Crown as being a contender, then obviously Bluecoats could easily and reasonably be viewed as a better one at this point (based on more than scores).

You can then say the same thing about Vanguard when answering for the Devils (as their situation appears to be a fairly decent mirror to Coats and Crown right now).

Either there is a mix of 4 (maybe 5) corps for the top 3... Or there is a secure margin for 1 (Vanguard or Bluecoats) or there is a race (at this early point) for 1 and 2 (Vanguard and Devils OR Bluecoats and Crown).  We won't really know the make-up of this until AT LEAST one group from each camp meets up to provide a reference.

But for Bluecoats... It's just not the same starting circumstances as last year.

They have BD 7/15. 

5 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

There is something different about Bluecoats this year. Can’t really put my finger on it. I liked last years music more than this years, and I liked a lot of that show better, but this year has a strange staying power I can’t seem to describe. 

I will say the ballad last year was frustrating and this year it’s such a powerful moment. 

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

They have BD 7/15. 

That will be very informative.

If the Devils edge out the Coats it will be more informative than if the Coats edge out the Devils.

That's assuming that things don't shift around before then.

Just now, cfirwin3 said:

If the Devils edge out the Coats it will be more informative than if the Coats edge out the Devils.

I’ll be there and I can hardly wait. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cfirwin3 said:

I will be paying close attentention to the judging panel for that show...a lot is at stake for the season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’ll be there and I can hardly wait. 

I may drive up just to be there.

• Like 1