The Beanpot, Lynn, MA July 2, 2018

Caveat:  Trying to hold off seeing Bloo until I can view them live this year.

But regarding the last two years, I couldn't disagree more.  I think the visual demands that the Bloo placed on the performers were extensive.  Everything was in time, fast, exposed.  Contrast that with the Devs those years...

"What appears to be simply running or even scatter moments are far more coordinated and difficult than most people realize. 

This is hogwash! Scatter drill and out of time movements cannot be judged as incorrect.  You can't tell if someone is out of time, form, etc.  Effectively, every moment of that type reduces the amount of time available for adjudication.  In the "build up" system of judging, these moments should be a net zero.

Having said that, THIS year, the Devils have an excellent viz package, and Crown seems to have dumbed down from last year's amazing effort..  Hopefully  you are understating Bloo's demand...

Or I will be sad.

16 minutes ago, craiga said:

No doubt that they are scoring well in the visual category....but that may not hold up against the California teams later this month.  The trouble is, as I'm sure you'll agree, that which is rewarded in DCI is perpetuated.  I truly hope that creative, musical visual design is not on the cusp of being replaced by this movement.

It's far too late for that. By rewarding the Blue Devils time and again for this kind of approach to visual design, it was inevitable that corps that want to succeed competitively would follow. Bluecoats have done their time doing more traditional visual packages, and while they were effective for the audience, they did not get the kind of competitive results that they wanted. So now they switch over to the visual style that has demonstrably been rewarded. As they say: Don't hate the player, hate the game.

You couldn't be more wrong about scatter drill, It is extremely hard to coordinate.  What looks random takes an incredible amount of time to make sure every pathway is the same time after time. What looks random is far from it.

Personally, I would rather teach and clean sweeping block movement, big arcs, intertwining moves than any random move because it is  way easier 

With that said, I do think there is plenty in Bloo's show if one wants to see it. To me it is a great mix of movement, staging, connecting moments and drawing one's eye where they want it...jmo

That and a very cool theme and look.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, pudding said:

It's far too late for that. By rewarding the Blue Devils time and again for this kind of approach to visual design, it was inevitable that corps that want to succeed competitively would follow. Bluecoats have done their time doing more traditional visual packages, and while they were effective for the audience, they did not get the kind of competitive results that they wanted. So now they switch over to the visual style that has demonstrably been rewarded. As they say: Don't hate the player, hate the game.

IMO its not about switching to anything , it's about changing up, reworking the norm and moving forward.

5 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

You couldn't be more wrong about scatter drill, It is extremely hard to coordinate.  What looks random takes an incredible amount of time to make sure every pathway is the same time after time. What looks random is far from it.

Personally, I would rather teach and clean sweeping block movement, big arcs, intertwining moves than any random move because it is  way easier 

Comparing scatter drill to serious drill moves is like comparing a sitcom laugh track to the Westminster Abbey Choir.  

4 hours ago, fsthnds said:

After seeing the same corps 2 nights in a row and from different sides of the stands. I feel scoring for the top 3 is fairly accurate. Bluecoats are the early front runner. Crown and Boston both have their strengths and weaknesses in different captions and appear they are going to be in a dogfight for placement like Boston and Cadets were last year. As for Cadets, my opinion is right now they have issues that need some attention and cleaning. Their ending is a mess and I question if the tempo and demands in the end can be achieved by the performers. To me, their score is inflated by 3-5 points (app. .5 -1.0 in most captions). Spirit is much improved this year and their show  (once they work out some issues with the doors) is definitely a potential finalist show. 

Will be interesting when Cadets and Spirit meet up with other corps that are in the 7-12 range as to how they get ranked in the different captions.

Yikes. You think cadets should be struggling to be top 12?  :(

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ediker said:

Comparing scatter drill to serious drill moves is like comparing a sitcom laugh track to the Westminster Abbey Choir.  

serious drill moves?. I agree those can be very cool to BUT I can tell you try doing teaching and judging a well put together random move. It is no joke.

Much easier to explain and teach and clean a file than coordinate random ( not random at all )  movement

Edited by GUARDLING

3 hours ago, xandandl said:

Roger Williams U across the Mt. Hope Bridge to Bristol, same river, same water on either shore.. (I was just using the similarity in names as the mms are finding these Yankee English very repetitious in naming their towns...Scituate, Ma and less than 30 miles away Scituate, RI for instance.)  Portsmouth Priory (now an Abbey, no, or demoted again is too noisy with the big Wind Turbine. Portsmouth Hi is home of football country.

Corps will do 3 parades tomorrow to spread the Americana and Unity love. End at Wakefield.

I'd have to look it up to be sure, but I think it is Portsmouth Abbey, not Priory.

If their spreading Americana and Unity Love, the Beverly Parade may need it. It's referred to as a "Horribles Parade" and let's just say has gotten very political and  it offended the liberal sensitivities of some folks, and the conservative sensitivities of others. Radio talk shows had a  field day. Organizers were asked by the mayor to tone it down, they won't, so he's not marching.  It's an early parade and takes place about five minutes from where I live, but I do have another obligation. However, I try not to miss the Wakefield parade. It is so well organized, with great musical groups, and lots of local participation.